Okanagans vs. Rocky Mountain pellets - - any real difference?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stentor

Hearth Supporter
Apr 3, 2009
North of Boston, Mass
Do you experience any real difference between Rocky Mountains and Okanagans?

I burned two tons of Okanagans this year and really liked them - - - good heat, reasonable ash, very consistent product, worth a few extra bucks. I've also tried and liked Rocky Mountains and they seemed very similar. The specs on the bags look almost the same although probably the measured comparisons on this forum show a small but consistent difference in favor of the Okanagans.

The New England Wood Pellets from Jaffrey, NH I'm using now are acceptable but seem to burn more quickly for the same temperature and to produce a bit more ash. So I'm thinking of moving to three tons Okies and one ton of Rockies, reluctantly stepping away from the more local NEWP.

I guess the question comes down to this: technical measurements aside, are both labels about the same? Practically speaking, do you feel much difference?

the Okanagans are a hotter burning pellet. if it is the same price i would go with those

Okanagans are a good pellet. Comparing it to New England, it will look like a great pellet. Okies are a good clean and consistant pellet and NEWP consistantly sucks. I never tried the Spruce Points but Im gunna have to try them.

There is one difference....the Rocky's come in PIA bags....
The handle always catches pellets ...
But that said...
The pellets themselves are very similar.
I bought 2 tons of Rockies and one ton of Okies this year...I am down to about 1/3 ton of Okies....with the rest burned....the Rockies had less fines and dust...But of course this could be buy to excessive handling ect...
Would buy either one again over any Hardwood pellet.

I have burned Okies and Spruce, but not any Rockies. I would say almost a toss up between the Spruce and Okies with the Spruce very slightly on top. Both burned clean and very hot. Spruce had a bit less ash, but not enough to make a real difference. Pricing would make the only real difference. I have also burned Dragons and a friend burned a ton of NEWP (jaffrey). Dragons easily topped the NEWP but neither would be on par with Okie and Spruce.

Just my 2 pennies.

gbreda said:
I have burned Okies and Spruce, but not any Rockies. I would say almost a toss up between the Spruce and Okies with the Spruce very slightly on top. Both burned clean and very hot. Spruce had a bit less ash, but not enough to make a real difference. Pricing would make the only real difference. I have also burned Dragons and a friend burned a ton of NEWP (jaffrey). Dragons easily topped the NEWP but neither would be on par with Okie and Spruce.

Just my 2 pennies.

I thought that Dragon Mts and Okies were the same pellet in different bags.

SXIPro said:
gbreda said:

Just my 2 pennies.

I thought that Dragon Mts and Okies were the same pellet in different bags.

Okies and Dragon Mountain are not the same. I'm sure BTU will chime in to confirm. IMO, I think the Dragons are equal to the Okies. Don't know about Spruce. Just my 2.

I love the Dragons, and I can tell you I can't tell the difference between them and the Okies. Buy what ever is cheaper, were still getting screwed up here on price. I'm always jealous seeing some of these price of 225 a ton! I wish....

I do beleive the Dragons are made by Pinnacle Pellet in BC.
Correct me if Im wrong BTU. :coolsmirk:

I've been using Okies all winter long and just purchased ten bags of Dragons. The ninth bag of Dragons are burning right now and I must say I can't tell the difference between the two brands. I believe I've read that they come from two different mills. I find the Dragons a little darker in color than the Okies, maybe BTU can explain the color difference.

gbreda said:

Just my 2 pennies.
Hi Gbreda
I have read alot of threads about softwoods and decided to test them for myself strictly by heat output and ash content .... no fancy testing just heating my house and keeping my stove cleaning at its minimum as time is very valuable these days... So we tried Spruce Pointe, Okies & Rockies. My stove pretty much burns anything ...I found Rockies to be very clean heat was not bad at all. Okies (although alot of hype on this forum) did not find them to be any better than Spruce Point & have found they did not have the funky smell that Okies had. I guess if the okies are stored outside the smell is not an issue but have found much better prices on Spruce Pointes with great heat output and minimal ash.
Just my own findings ...I do know every stove is different but this was what we found and hope it helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.