Okay..Decided to pull the trigger on a new stove. Dutchwest 2462 (XL)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey_Marine

Nov 29, 2013
Northwest New Jersey
After my last thread throwing the idea around on either keeping my old Dutchwest (1984-1986 Model) I have decided to purchase a new stove. Instead of replacing the cat for a few hundred bucks on an antiquated stove I decided to get the new XL Dutchwest (Cat version). I have a few questions though.
1: I know Dutchwest doesn't make a screen for the front of their stoves but does an aftermarket company make them?
2: I have a 6" flue and the XL requires an 8". I was going to get a resister pipe to make the transition from the 8" to a 6" so I can still use my existing flue. Does anybody see a problem with that?
3: Since this stove will be running constantly, I am throwing the idea around to have a plumber throw some anti-freeze into my boiler. Since this stove will probably run hot enough to keep the boiler going and the water flowing through my pipes, I want to ensure my pipes don't break. Necessity or overly-worried for no reason?
Thanks in advance for the help. Im sure Ill have more questions later

1: I wouldn't think that anyone would make an aftermarket screen out of liability problems. I would not think that you could run that stove without air control, which you would not have, with a screen in place.

2: Reducing from 8 to 6 really chokes down a stove. You could have draft problems. Some get away with it, but others have problems, would be a shame to buy a new stove and not be able to make it work on your chimney.

3: I know nothing about boilers, so will leave that to others, might want to wander into the Boiler Room forum here on Hearth.com to see what they say about that.

After my last thread throwing the idea around on either keeping my old Dutchwest (1984-1986 Model) I have decided to purchase a new stove. Instead of replacing the cat for a few hundred bucks on an antiquated stove I decided to get the new XL Dutchwest (Cat version). I have a few questions though.
1: I know Dutchwest doesn't make a screen for the front of their stoves but does an aftermarket company make them?
2: I have a 6" flue and the XL requires an 8". I was going to get a resister pipe to make the transition from the 8" to a 6" so I can still use my existing flue. Does anybody see a problem with that?
3: Since this stove will be running constantly, I am throwing the idea around to have a plumber throw some anti-freeze into my boiler. Since this stove will probably run hot enough to keep the boiler going and the water flowing through my pipes, I want to ensure my pipes don't break. Necessity or overly-worried for no reason?
Thanks in advance for the help. Im sure Ill have more questions later
I would not use a screen because they make for an inefficient stove and you'll probably end up with smoke coming into your stove room.. Years ago DW used to include a screen and my old CDW came with it but was useless and once I tried it I never used it again., I think it's OK to reduce to 6" and I think they use a 6" diameter cat on your stove but you'd need to measure to be sure. Personally I like the DW cat stoves and think they are a good deal for a nice looking cast iron stove.

Good Luck!
Ray

A cat screen would not be a priority for me as I've run a Dutchwest Mod. 2460 for 16 years now without one with no issues. Remove the cat every spring and vacuum is my suggestion.

A cat screen would not be a priority for me as I've run a Dutchwest Mod. 2460 for 16 years now without one with no issues. Remove the cat every spring and vacuum is my suggestion.
I believe the OP is referring to opening the doors and placing a screen in the place of the doors and running as a fireplace..

Ray

I believe the OP is referring to opening the doors and placing a screen in the place of the doors and running as a fireplace..

Ray

Right. ;em

I sure read that wrong. But, burning with a screened opening would probably create a real smoke/draft issue for him, especially when decreasing flue size from 8 to 6 inches.

Reactions: raybonz
Right. ;em

I sure read that wrong. But, burning with a screened opening would probably create a real smoke/draft issue for him, especially when decreasing flue size from 8 to 6 inches.
Yes it would create a smoke issue with a 6" flue. In the past you were required to have 8" flue for fireplace mode otherwise 6" was fine and I am 99% sure the cat on that stove is restricted to the cat size which is 6" round x2" thick.. The XL firebox really isn't huge by today's standards so if I am wrong please correct me..

Ray

As far as the boiler. Are you saying you have a hot water system with baseboard or cast radiators? If so there's no reason for the antifreeze unless your expecting an area of the house to get below freezing at any point. The only time we do that is if we're dealing with a boiler operating from outside the building or heat lines that are exposed to outside air. Its really no big deal to add the antifreeze to the system if you feel more comfortable with it . Drop the pressure on the system and add it at the easiest place. Not necessary however in a normally inside heat controlled environment.

Good luck with your Dutchwest! I have a 2003 of the same in my basement in pieces.

You are not supposed to reduce the flue size for this stove. And definitely not if the plan is to try to run it with the door open.

You are not supposed to reduce the flue size for this stove. And definitely not if the plan is to try to run it with the door open.
I stand corrected..

Reactions: Hardrockmaple

Explain why please? Not that im being a wise guy Im just trying to get some info so I can relay the info to the people who are telling me otherwise. I just dont want to say some knowledgable guy on a forum told me so. What are the reducer pipes for then? Why would they sell the reducer pipes if flues werent suppose to be reduced? Thank you. And again Im just gathering info so I can accurately explain this to 20 people that told me otherwise

I have a vc encore and my manual says the stove is absolutely not to be run with the doors open and the factory screen if you have a 6 inch chimney (8 inch only).

I would assume it is a similar deal with all 6 inch chimney/liners but I don't know that for sure.

If the manual also says the stove is to be run with a 8 inch liner and yours is 6 inch I am a stickler for posted warnings and follow them to a tee.

I would be looking at a different stove (that accepts 6inch) or a new 8 inch liner.

And you are using the logic that since they make the necessary tools to do what is clearly NOT recommended you should be o.k. is not exactly the most safe way to proceed. I can't give you specifics as to why for this stove but the biggest assumption is that the stove has been tested with 6 and 8 inch flue's and optimal performance /draft was dictated to be with 8inchs and sub-optimal performance/draft was achieved with 6.

I'd get something designed for a 6 inch flue. Have you actually gotten the stove yet?

Hard to understand why a stove with a 6" cat needs an 8" flue pipe.. Only thing I can think would be the bypass door may be larger?

Ray

The manual advises if you have a 6" pipe venting into a say 10" flue the performance will be dissapointing. In other words it advises against a smaller pipe venting into a larger flue but doesn't say anything about a larger pipe venting into a smaller flue.........also thinking about it the pipe coming off the stove base is oval and then it goes into an 8" pipe. So essentially if I use a reducer it will go from an oval outlet off the stove (which is considerably smaller than a round 8" pipe) to an 8" pipe into a reducer to a 6" pipe then out the flue. Like I said the manual advises dont go small into large but doesnt mention going larger into smaller..

Does the manual state you can use a 6 inch chimney then? It should be clear: you can use a 6inch chimney or a 8 inch chimney or only one or the other.

I pulled up the manual for the XL. It clearly states that for your model use a 8inch chimney. The small models can use a 6 inch chimney.

I pulled up the manual for the XL. It clearly states that for your model use a 8inch chimney. The small models can use a 6 inch chimney.

Hmm i didnt see that. This is odd. I am getting conflicting information now. This is all I found. (Below) Why would all these people recommend a reducer then and say its acceptable. I thank you for helping me image.jpg

http://literature.mhsc.com/monessen/manuals/7001135_Dutchwest_2460_29.pdf

Page 5 it talks specifics for chimney size. The smaller models can be 6 inches, the larger 8 inches (which is the 2462). It is exactly the same with the encore/defiant (since dutchwest is monensen and therefore vc as well .... or was until a couple months ago). Encore = 6 or 8 inch, Defiant = 8 inch only.

You CAN run the stove with 6 inches (against recommendations). But if you follow this site at all you know what happens when people don't follow guidelines or try to push their stoves to do things that it isn't rate for....unhappy posters.

I would expect significant draft issues using this stove with a 6 inch reducer on a 6 inch liner. You may find smoke in the house a problem, or starting fires, or back puffing. All very common troubles discussed daily.

Either change the liner, or go with a smaller model/different stove.

And again had i known about this site before purchasing my Encore I might have likely been completely scared away from purchasing from monensen/vc/dutchwest. I would have probably purchased a blaze kind princess. But alas I did not know any better at the time.

I am happy with my stove. But all the concerns regarding monensen and the horror stories with company would make me think twice before purchasing a VC again.

Wow what happened to your DW?

Ray
This Dutchwest was in my current home when we bought it. Ceramic glass was broken, damper was cracked, cat probe thermometer gone...it was a badly treated stove.
I put it in my basement shop and took it down to a shell, been slowly bring it back to life when I have a few extra bucks. Not sure I want to keep it when it's done anyways, not a VC fan

I didnt buy it yet. Can someone recommend the largest stove (largest meaning can hold alot of wood and burn for a long time without reloading) that a 6" flue can accomodate? I want a good stove that will last me many years. My budget is in the 2K range

I don't think there would be anything wrong with going with the smaller model. Again I'm happy with my stove but do worry sometimes. I think if treated appropriately and not abused the DW would be a fine stove just for you and your 6 inch liner not the XL model.

I think blaze king line of stoves is out of your budget and honestly may have been out of mine If i had sat down and crunched the numbers. There are a good deal of good stove companies out there. And sometimes the amount of burn time you get is more dependent on your wood quality, type, and moisture content as well as floor plan and layout and square footage than on the stove itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.