Okay finally happened.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
The suspense of firing up the new BK parlor finally got to me,low tonight 36',so what the heck. A load of red spruce,
firdt.jpg temp.jpeg comb.jpg
one super cedar here's what happened.At five minutes she's really flamed up,at 30 minutes well into the active combustor zone,closed bypass at 35 minutes kicked her down to the halfway mark,look at that combustor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still want to sell it?
Have you something that will perform better?If so let's make a deal.At the haflway point she pegged the combustor needle,cut her back to about 1"on the thermostat.

Have you something that will perform better?If so let's make a deal.At the haflway point she pegged the combustor needle,cut her back to about 1"on the thermostat.
It'll do that when it's new. The cat will be hyper active for little while.

It'll do that when it's new. The cat will be hyper active for little while.
Here's the stove 13 hours later,pics are not the best it's 6"00am Tweaked the stat to 3 oclock,cat started glowing,a half load of wood still in stove,cat very active ,red spruce.1.jpeg 2.jpg 2.jpg

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 128
All i'm saying is this is how they work,outside temps 37,I'll check it at the 24 hour mark.House with small window open in stove room 72 degrees.
Ya, I've had a few. I'm familiar with how they work.

Ya, I've had a few. I'm familiar with how they work.
But what about those who don't ?they should be advised also wouldn't you say?That's what makes this site a cut above the rest a plethora of knowledge.Stay tuned for hour 24 with pics.

I think that's what webby was trying to do, inform people that the cat may need to (or will) settle down after a few loads.

Reactions: webby3650
act.jpg Here we go again ,here's the King Parlor at 18 hours into the burn,Cat still active.I opened the bypass and the fire flared up ,closed her back up.Here's the stove into a 25 hour burn about done ,but house still at 72 . Tony.jpg 24.jpg Cat about done,almost all wood consumed,red spruce,could have throw the stat wide open and maybe got another hour and nothing but powder,but instead reloaded.This is what a BK does,and does well.First two images at 18 hours,last two at 25 hrs.

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 111
20161012_191611.jpg I'm new to cat stoves to just got my high valley 1500 and love it, Its pretty cool to be able to see the cat lol i cant see mine, 24hr burn is insane lol probably get 12 hours out of mine but its not cold enough to tell. Do you have a way of measuring cat temps just curious to know how hot it really is, my gauge shows active and in active like yours but also cat temp.

View attachment 186555 I'm new to cat stoves to just got my high valley 1500 and love it, Its pretty cool to be able to see the cat lol i cant see mine, 24hr burn is insane lol probably get 12 hours out of mine but its not cold enough to tell. Do you have a way of measuring cat temps just curious to know how hot it really is, my gauge shows active and in active like yours but also cat temp.
Your thermometer is the same, just has the numbers. I think BK omitted it because it scares people. It's too bad high valley is out of business at the moment. Seemed like a solid product.

Your thermometer is the same, just has the numbers. I think BK omitted it because it scares people. It's too bad high valley is out of business at the moment. Seemed like a solid product.

Its a little scary I just bought this stove and the company is out of business lol but they're still sold in stores, hope I don't run into some crap down the road

Its a little scary I just bought this stove and the company is out of business lol but they're still sold in stores, hope I don't run into some crap down the road
They were bought by Stoll and still DBA High Valley. They have since dropped the line. I have a sneaky suspicion they share a bunch of similarities to Buck and Kuma. I'm gonna guess parts won't be an issue.

They were bought by Stoll and still DBA High Valley. I have a sneaky suspicion they share a bunch of similarities to Buck and Kuma. I'm gonna guess parts won't be an issue.

You're not the first to say that about the buck

Reactions: Woody Stover
small firebox but she packs a good punch, excuse the mess work in progress lol, 20161010_134146.jpg

View attachment 186555pretty cool to be able to see the cat lol i cant see mine
Did you try looking in around the hole where the bypass rod goes through the front of the stove? I can see the cat glow in the Buck but I have to move my head around to get the right angle to see it through that small opening.

Did you try looking in around the hole where the bypass rod goes through the front of the stove? I can see the cat glow in the Buck but I have to move my head around to get the right angle to see it through that small opening.

Hah good thought never looked, next fire I will be looking out for it

No worries Stoll sold the High Valley Line to Family members in Ontario. The stoves are still being made! With the uncertainty of the EPA regulations looming they decided to get out. Since Canada does not have those regulations they will be able to sell the stoves in Canada after the 2020 emission standards go into effect.

No worries Stoll sold the High Valley Line to Family members in Ontario. The stoves are still being made! With the uncertainty of the EPA regulations looming they decided to get out. Since Canada does not have those regulations they will be able to sell the stoves in Canada after the 2020 emission standards go into effect.
They're still around spoke with them few weeks ago about a fan issue I was having g

Status
Not open for further replies.