Okay it's in - but am I using it right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tutu_sue

Jan 21, 2006
Northern NJ
First, I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, insert your preferred sentiment here ______________________________ and all the best in 2007.

Well, we installed the Durvent double wall damper to the rear stove adapter, using stove cement on the joints and made sure it was plumb, level, used all three screws - we were thorough. Now about using this thing. Am I doing this correctly?

I leave the damper full open when I fire up the cold stove and leave it open until I have a good bed of coals. I add bigger logs and adjust the air lever on the stove until the stove top is around 500F to 550F, let it settle in until the flames are nice and bright (but crazy wild). The air lever at this point is down to about 25%. Then I move the damper until the flames slow down and get a little more translucent, but are still bright and I see the air from the baffle making holes through the flames. Sometimes I adjust the air lever again a tiny bit up or down to get what I feel is good combustion.

Doing it this way I have notice a few things have changed: the time between reloads is 50 to 75% longer, the cycle temp is steadier and not varying as much, and the room is waminng up MUCH faster and getting to a higher temperature and the glass is staying cleaner, inside of box is cleaner. I like that.

Also, is it possible to close the damper too much and get creosote in my chimney even though I don't have any smoke coming out of the chimney? Can my chimney get too cool by closing the damper too much?

sue that depends on the burn cycle. The middle to latter stages of the burn cycle will produce the smallest amounts of cresote, that is when you can damper down more

Sounds like you are on track and to keep doing what you are

Merry christmas to you too

Hey Sue - can you say more about this? Why did you get this in the first place? Did it have something to do with your draft before? My draft is fine, but when you say 50 - 75% longer burn...WOW. Was this a problem solver thing to install or a "something new" to tweak performance? Thanks.

KarynAnne said:
Hey Sue - can you say more about this? Why did you get this in the first place? Did it have something to do with your draft before? My draft is fine, but when you say 50 - 75% longer burn...WOW. Was this a problem solver thing to install or a "something new" to tweak performance? Thanks.

Details in her previous post:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/5112/

Status
Not open for further replies.