OKAY.... WHO HASN'T BURNED YET...... ????????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have had several chill chasers thus far in central Maine. Coldest morning (outside) has been 31 or so.

Just working on my 4th break-in burn this morning for my new Jotul Rockland. After this I believe I will be good to start for the season (hoping that is a couple more weeks, as I think I will be a little short on wood this year).

Just doing my break ins. Got a decent fire going saturday night and had to open all the windows and go outside it was so warm. Bring on the cold.

Still waaaaaaayyyy to warm. My electric meter barely spins with the minimal amount of heating needed in October. Looks like temps will ccool a bit in coming days and I will be looking to fire it up at the end of the month.

Still waiting on chimney to come in...

Hope the cold stays back a little. Still need to do my break-in burns with the windows open.

I've had two little ones to take the chill out. Just light up and one load each.

Funny thing is I'm sitting here right now thinking about lighting up. It's headed for a high in the mid 50's today, but it's damp and rainy; then dropping into the 30's for tonight. I bet I'll be making ashes before the end of the day.

No burning yet but I think it is supposed to be in the 40's tonight...maybe, just maybe...

Couple of chill chasers earlier in the month. We are having an Indian summer right now. Outside temps will hit *70 today. There is a cold front coming through this weekend, I will be making heat by Friday night.

Nope no burning yet.
I will need it real soon though.
The cabin is in full rebuild mode after the floods of 2008.
Just getting a contractor to swing a hammer in this state has been very difficult.
But the Wood Stove is almost done being rebuilt, the Mini-Split air heat pump is getting installed next week.
To say I am scared this year is a understatement.
I have wood....but man I need insulation and walls NOW!

Hi,

No burning yet. BB is correct, by the end of March I don't want to see a piece of wood. Looks like the end of the week we'll have chase the chill out of the house.

Jim

No surprise we haven't burned yet here in central VA, it's been in the 80's all week! :roll: I've been enjoying the last bit of warmth as it's going to end with a 30 degree temp drop by this weekend, still warmer than most of you though...

I imagine I'll throw in some pine to warm up the family room a bit later this week, basically I'll start burning when the wife says she's too cold or to keep the oil furnace from kicking on! :shut:

No chimney yet, either.
Still haven't decided to put a block chimney back up on the outside wall where the old brick one was or just put up pipe.
Pipe is probably, faster, easier, better.
Its only been 64 degrees cold inside one morning so far.
Sun comes through the windows and warms it all right back up again.
Its cloudy weather that's tough to get past.

not burning yet.... but starting to break out in hives from "impatient-ness"

burntime said:
No burning yet but I think it is supposed to be in the 40's tonight...maybe, just maybe...

I don't know how you folks in WI are not burning yet. I've had at least 5 fires so far, and I am south of you. If I got wood (and I do!) I ain't afraid to use it. I have had internal house temps of 62. Time for a fire.

For just a little heat I let the gas funace kick in, my bill goes up like 10 bucks for the month. I always am scrounging in February so I used to wait to lite the match until after deer hunting with the old stove. The new one usually a fire or two in septemeber (did not happen this year) and the end of October kicks off the burning season! I think I have about 5-5.5 cords cust stacked and dry and will have 3 cords of oak up for next year if I finish splitting it and stacking it so I should be good this year!

Ok, I broke down. There's one burning right now. It's really not quite that cold, but it's a damp, rainy day and I just wanted to brighten the mood here in the office.

Me too. It was 43 this morning. Fire's going now, house is cozy with a moderate burn.

Well, I've started burning 24/7. I'm in the rockies of northwest Montana. Our nighttime temps have been dropping down below 20 F (-6 C). Daytime temps with rain (fall is the rainy season here) have been in the 40s. So far, the new stove is doing a good job of keeping the house warm. This week's job when it's not raining is to repair the roof of a metal outbuilding that serves as an overflow wood storage shed--the roof was damaged by very heavy snows last winter. I procrastinated working on it because repair entails taking all the roof panels off and reinforcing the damaged roof supports. I've got the roof panels off, now I'm working on the supports. Once this job is done, it'll be time to go back to the nearby mill to get some more seasoned wood to have in case the pile in the main wood shed gets used up before heating season is over.

Not yet. It's been warm enough here on LI during the day to build up enough heat in the house to hold us over through the night. The coldest it's been in the AM was 64* once. I took that opportunity to fire up the OHW baseboard heating system to make sure that was good to go for the season and get the temp up to 69*, just where we like it.
Most mornings it's 68* when we wake up, and then it slowly creeps up to 74 inside.
That's going to change this weekend, looks like highs of 60* and low of 43*, so that won't cut it any more. Time to burn!

We had the same cold snap Zamboni did, here in the land of beaches and bikinis (yeah right)... temps dropped down into the mid-30s at night, which even with a heat-holding adobe house brought morning temps below 60F. So I've run a couple of one-load morning chill chasers. Aside from whetting the appetite, this has been handy as I've been messing about with the old Jotul 8 we inherited, adding a bit of firebrick and kaowool to see if I can burn a bit more of the smoke. Will be burning nightly once cold/rainy season arrives (mid-November usually).

Eddy

No burning yet. Not necessary. Not until the house temp goes less than about 55 degrees. Dont care what it is outside. Has not happened yet . Has been very warm in Southern NH. I still use the AC sometimes

A couple one load morning fires and a few overnight burns last week when the frost was on the pun'kin. Wife objected in the evening when the house reached 75, but not one word did she say in the morning when I caught her warming her tailfeathers at the stove.

I am in the northwest corner of CT. The other week I had 2 days were I needed an evening fire to heat the house and on the third day a "just because I love a fire" going that evening. Since then the wife has been bugging me each evening for one. I look at the thermostat and it says 68 degrees in the house. I told her no, which was a very hard no to say but I am a little low on wood for this year...so I am waiting.

Plus I still have not gotten up there to clean the chimney for this winter yet...

Just North of you in Keene. Still waiting for the *$#&#^% glass for the door. It was in Connecticut last night, so I'm guessing it'll be on my stoop when I get home. Here's hoping it's in one piece. If it is, I'll be burning this weekend!

Cheers!

:coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.