OKAY.... WHO HASN'T BURNED YET...... ????????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been burning 24/7 for 3 weeks now. Two nights ago it was 0 degrees when I woke up and we haven't seen the north side of 30 in two weeks. Already have 6 inches of snow on the ground. First year burning so I hope I have enough wood put up, but I do love the burn times on my Blaze King. Live in Fairbanks, AK.

Russ

I haven't burned yet.

Any temp above 50 degrees outside is too warm to fire up the stove. I can't wait, but I have to.

Maybe I should remove some insulation :cheese:

No fires as of yet. It was over 80 degrees yesterday. I think this weekend may bring colder weather.

It's been in the 40s in the mornings, but the problem is these sunny days where the afternoons get warmer and the sun pours in the south-facing windows near the stove. So then, suddenly, we're roasting and have to open all the doors and windows :) I still haven't mastered the concept of the cast iron retaining heat for as long as it does... or how long a burn time we get in this stove. Oh well, better to be roasting than freezing!

It is 79 in the house right now, it may have been over 80 inside earlier today. It'll drop about 25 degrees when the lil lady gets home. I had a few fires early on in Oct and it looks like i will need some this coming weekend. By the time I get to cord 5 or 6 I'll be hating it.

ScottF said:
No burning yet. Not necessary. Not until the house temp goes less than about 55 degrees. Dont care what it is outside. Has not happened yet . Has been very warm in Southern NH. I still use the AC sometimes

Long before this house gets down to 55 something is going to catch fire in this joint. :eek:hh: I'll do sixty-five but below that I am reaching for kindling.

Only once so far. Got down into the 40's at night.

Fired her up a week ago when the low got down to 42 (House temp was 66).

I'm burning, and the family room is toasty tonight. Supposed to hit the upper 30's overnight,
and it's damp. The family is sitting around the stove, while my wife reads Tolkien to the kids.
Nice evening.

Guilty. Jotul 550 went in mid Aug, break in fires done with AC running (windows open). Have probably fired it up a dozen times or so in since Sept. 1. Small fires to keep the house in the 70's on the cool nights. Love the burn now, but will be cussing the wood hauling / feeding in Jan / Feb. Enjoying it again tonight with temps in upper 40's. Going to the 30's this weekend, so more joy in this house. :)

I was a bit cold and the wife didn't really want it (but she was covered up with a blanket). I'm about 20 cords over this years wood (yes, real cords, yes I know how to measure them, etc.), so I said I'm not doing that much work for nothing, we're building a fire. Had a few 6-7 log fires, brought the temps up almost 10 degrees in the house. If you have the wood, burn it, makes everything better. Try and use 2-3 birch and 3-4 oak for these burns. The wood I have for the next few years is almost solid oak both red and white (one stack is 17x14x7). Another is not yet finished, but right now about 2 pallets by 4 pallets and about 7' tall, about 1/2 done with splitting. Just picked up an ash that is about 24ish diameter (buried my 20" bar). I can't say I haven't been lucky, as I have. At some point I'll have to get back to taking what I can get instead of taking what I want. Once you get into the place that I am, you can pick and choose and not race to when you are doing it. I'm still finding that the stuff I cut and place in rounds on the bottom a few months ago is sucking up water, not letting it go, so be aware if you are in this situation. May take a few pics this weekend as I am pretty giddy about the stacks. Now I have to think about how I'm going to cover the stuff that I'm not using this year, as I've never been given that luxury.
Chad

BrotherBart said:
ScottF said:
No burning yet. Not necessary. Not until the house temp goes less than about 55 degrees. Dont care what it is outside. Has not happened yet . Has been very warm in Southern NH. I still use the AC sometimes

Long before this house gets down to 55 something is going to catch fire in this joint. :eek:hh: I'll do sixty-five but below that I am reaching for kindling.

I'm with you Bart. We have had 3 or 4 frosts so far and the other nights have been in the mid 30's....plus a couple of damp rainy days...I can get by lately with a couple of splits of hardwood which I then resplit as I have my electric splitter next to the wood stove. It's one of the advantages of not having a wife....That is "Having my splitter in the living room next to my stove". I also use my built in corner china cabinet to hold all my paint, caulking, glues, epoxy, and other man things

I have a good supply of wood, and as much free wood as I can handle to take care off. Because of that, I am taking the opposite approach as those that are putting off burning. I am trying to see how long I can make it without firing up the furnace. We have had some chilly nights, so I have probably already had 10 fires this year. I build a small fire in the evening if the house is 65 or lower. I can get the house up to 75 with very little wood. By morning, it is still usally close to 70. Has been working well for me, and thankfully my furnace hasn't seen a shot of LP yet.

the_dude said:
I have a good supply of wood, and as much free wood as I can handle to take care off. Because of that, I am taking the opposite approach as those that are putting off burning. I am trying to see how long I can make it without firing up the furnace. We have had some chilly nights, so I have probably already had 10 fires this year. I build a small fire in the evening if the house is 65 or lower. I can get the house up to 75 with very little wood. By morning, it is still usally close to 70. Has been working well for me, and thankfully my furnace hasn't seen a shot of LP yet.

Gee your photo makes you look like the Christan Savior, are you related to him?

BrotherBart said:
ScottF said:

All right Bart we know you are the answer man and the smartest dude around.... So we want to know who sang the song "Fire"? Hint it was the crazy world of blank Blank

I haven't yet, but only because my stove's not installed yet. That happens on Thursday and I can't wait!

GunSeth, that does sound like a Neo-Viling name.... Do you per chance own any Serpent 0r Dragon headed ships?

JoeyJ said:
BrotherBart said:
ScottF said:

All right Bart we know you are the answer man and the smartest dude around.... So we want to know who sang the song "Fire"? Hint it was the crazy world of blank Blank

Being a product of the sixties the only one I think of is the Jimi Hendrix song "Fire". There may have been one on that Arthur Brown Crazy World album everybody was so nuts about but I never cared much for his stuff so I don't know.

Bingo can't stump the guesser Brother Bart....The crazy world of Arthur Brown

Yesterday was my first burn,because it was my first day with the stove fully installed and I am like a little kid(can't wait until it actually gets cold. Put it to you this way. I had the stove cranking, and I was sweating stacking my 3 cords of wood, in a t-shirt(was 75-78'f yesterday) :cheese:

Tom(NJ)

I haven't burned yet only because the building inspector blew off our appointment today. I called yesterday and made the appt with his secretary/admin assistant. He calls today and lies, saying that I left a message on the answering machine and no one called to confirm. I think he just didn't want to do the inspection on such a gorgeous fall afternoon.

Sh!tty customer service like this chaps my ass.

Anyhow, we now have an appt for Monday 2 PM, should be burning a break-in fire when I get home from work at 6:30.

Can't wait.

chad3 said:
I was a bit cold and the wife didn't really want it (but she was covered up with a blanket). I'm about 20 cords over this years wood (yes, real cords, yes I know how to measure them, etc.), so I said I'm not doing that much work for nothing, we're building a fire. Had a few 6-7 log fires, brought the temps up almost 10 degrees in the house. If you have the wood, burn it, makes everything better. Try and use 2-3 birch and 3-4 oak for these burns. The wood I have for the next few years is almost solid oak both red and white (one stack is 17x14x7). Another is not yet finished, but right now about 2 pallets by 4 pallets and about 7' tall, about 1/2 done with splitting. Just picked up an ash that is about 24ish diameter (buried my 20" bar). I can't say I haven't been lucky, as I have. At some point I'll have to get back to taking what I can get instead of taking what I want. Once you get into the place that I am, you can pick and choose and not race to when you are doing it. I'm still finding that the stuff I cut and place in rounds on the bottom a few months ago is sucking up water, not letting it go, so be aware if you are in this situation. May take a few pics this weekend as I am pretty giddy about the stacks. Now I have to think about how I'm going to cover the stuff that I'm not using this year, as I've never been given that luxury.
Chad

listen, if you really need to cover that extra 10 or so cords you have ... just bring it up to me ... i have PLENTY of tarps etc for however you want to cover it... i will even let you know when its fully seasoned and ready to burn ... i can do this using the summitster test ... i will test burn it and give you the exact btu rating!!!

No fire yet. Daytime temp in the 60's, nights in the 40's. Had a light frost Wednesday. Wife kicked the heater on for a few hours for a couple evenings. Thermostat set at 64. Anticipate first fire sometime in November.

No fire yet here in Eastern Kentucky. It may freeze tonight though, so it is a distinct possibility. Husband says wait til November 1st, I say let the temperature be the judge.
I will win.
To be honest I nearly mourned last spring when I finally had to let the fire go out- I missed it so.
I can't wait until I have it back again, and no- I never get tired of fooling with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.