OKAY.... WHO HASN'T BURNED YET...... ????????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did break in fires on the new Isle Royale last month, then it warmed up quite a bit for a few weeks and just went back down to 30's at night and 50's in the daytime, so I've been burning small loads. Got a pot of beans on it right now. :) I've found I really enjoy cooking on the stove, an added benefit I hadn't even considered before the stove was in. I looked at it as "warm a can of soup" in a power failure situation, but not "real" cooking. Got to be shifting wood piles around and getting things undercover in the next two weeks.

BrotherBart said:
Redox said:
We have turned on some heat pump as the mornings have been dipping into the low 40s.

That's cheating. Your heat pump still works. :mad:

hahahaha....mine works too, and we had 40 early this morning! brrrrrrr Next couple nights will be in 30's...and I'm more than ready to fire up for the first time this season, just to get the chill out for the day! All I do is stare at my stove and the wood piles...excitement has been building...the time is nearing!!!!

I would have liked to, but our hearth has been a little empty.

hearth2.thumbnail.jpg

Our stove has been back-ordered for a month or two.

We don't have any other heat source, so... we're looking forward to getting this show on the road! I'm writing this wearing a toque and a giant parka.

(If truth be told, our stove arrived today, but it's not hooked up yet. We're working on it right now, though!)

zhukpavlo said:
Haven't burned yet - stove not installed yet. West Springfield MA

hey buddy!! always good to see another person from western mass!!!
what stove you getting and from who???

i started last sat, was trying to wait till nov 1st but after surfing i get home freezing and need to warm up.

I just started first fire of the season. I just got home and it's 30 out. Stove temp is climbing nicely. Time to sit back and enjoy all that work. And laugh as the propane trucks keep visiting my neighbors.

I still haven't fired mine up. It's only been a little cool and the wife hates it too hot. Every year we go through this and the furnace will keep the chill off until the real cold weather comes in. It's not too bad right now and the furnance barely runs at all, but once it gets cold enough the matches are a striking!!

First burn mandated by wife, perhaps today. She seen a cold and rain front coming in as was hauling in wood yesterday evening.

This signals the start of the season here.

Whimfield said:
I would have liked to, but our hearth has been a little empty.

hearth2.thumbnail.jpg

Our stove has been back-ordered for a month or two.

We don't have any other heat source, so... we're looking forward to getting this show on the road! I'm writing this wearing a toque and a giant parka.

(If truth be told, our stove arrived today, but it's not hooked up yet. We're working on it right now, though!)

The hearth looks very nice. It is just sad seeing it there empty.

Hubby talked about getting the insert going last weekend, but we haven't actually burned yet.

Maybe this weekend.
~Cath

iceman said:
zhukpavlo said:
Haven't burned yet - stove not installed yet. West Springfield MA

hey buddy!! always good to see another person from western mass!!!
what stove you getting and from who???

I got a regency I2400 from Nash... I can't fit anything bigger in my fireplace. The door is backordered though (nickel trim on door) the plain black door is in stock. Still considering doing the install myself since no one wants to do a blockoff plate.

Just burned woodstove (VC Intrepid II) for the first time this season on Monday. Yesterday I slapped in the new catalyst and today she's running like a champ.

Now all I need is some more wood...
campfire.gif

Finally lit it off tonight. Got into the 20's last night and heading that way again for tonight. Cleaned the chimney liner and got about a large coffee can of soot out of it after about a season and a half of burning. Tried the top-down method to light the fire for the first time and while I'm not a fan of using newspaper as a starter, the process worked pretty well.

Besides, burning now is fun. In three more months it will be a daily pain in the ass.[/quote]

It is supposed to get down to 6 tonight. That is a pain.

Sticks

First fire started here about 2 hours ago. It was still 62 in the house when I got home. It wasn't the cold that got me, it was the cold plus the rain. Been wet all day. Maybe next year I'll make it until Halloween, I got close though.

Redox said:
It was 80+ in Baltimore today. Neighbor's A/C is still running. Stove is apart and waiting on parts (I know, I should have ordered it in the spring). We have turned on some heat pump as the mornings have been dipping into the low 40s. At this rate, I may not light it until December, but once it's lit, it's on for the winter!

Chris

Boy, what a difference two weeks makes! It got up to the 50's today, but is very windy. I finished cleaning the flue and putting everything back together last week and couldn't wait to take her for a test drive! I seem to be coming down with a cold or something and got stuck on a job in an unheated mechanical room today. I was cold and miserable, until I got home to find the wife had been keeping the stove going. I've "downed" the heat pump and am enjoying the glow. Bring on the winter!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.