Okies….very disappointed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhagerty

Jan 10, 2011
Southern NH
I pick up 12 bags of Okies to give them a try and I have to say I’m very disappointed with the results. I ran 6 bags through my Accentra and due to all the great reviews I was expecting great heat and low ash. What I got was average heat and average ash.

The CleanFire I have is burning hotter and cleaner then the Okies by at least a few degrees (of room temp). I would compare Okies with Stove Chow, Maine Woods and Freedom Fuel, the big difference is the other brands are a bargain at $187 compared to $275 a ton for the Okies.

A few other issues such as a thin bag, my fingers went three of the 12 bags just from picking them up…the bag simply sucks. They do have a funky smell to them; the wife said they smell like cat pee.

I’ll put the remaining 6 bags I have left with the Stove Chow and other brands I have and use them for the shoulder season. I’ll stick with my CleanFire for the cold nights.
I did just buy 12 bags of Green Team to try so I’m hoping to have good results with those.

same here, nothing great about them picked up 15 bags because of the reviews will not buy again

I had the same results. I wouldn't go out of my way for okies. The heat was good. Ash was no better than anything else decent. Fines and dust were terrible. The wife doesn't want to see them again.

mhagerty on a previous posting there was mention that occasionaly trees that had that odor were in the pipeline. Luckily I have never had any of those OKIES.
That said I am burning OKIES round the clock 7 days a week and couldn't be happier. Very low ash here that allowed me to at least double the time between cleanings, along with great heat output. The only change I made to my stove was to lower the feed rate when I started using OKIES.

mhagerty said:
I pick up 12 bags of Okies to give them a try and I have to say I’m very disappointed with the results. I ran 6 bags through my Accentra and due to all the great reviews I was expecting great heat and low ash. What I got was average heat and average ash.

The CleanFire I have is burning hotter and cleaner then the Okies by at least a few degrees (of room temp). I would compare Okies with Stove Chow, Maine Woods and Freedom Fuel, the big difference is the other brands are a bargain at $187 compared to $275 a ton for the Okies.

A few other issues such as a thin bag, my fingers went three of the 12 bags just from picking them up…the bag simply sucks. They do have a funky smell to them; the wife said they smell like cat pee.

I’ll put the remaining 6 bags I have left with the Stove Chow and other brands I have and use them for the shoulder season. I’ll stick with my CleanFire for the cold nights.
I did just buy 12 bags of Green Team to try so I’m hoping to have good results with those.

You will be pleased with the green team. Decent pellet for the price.

I find it funny that the experience is so different... I went to pickup another 10 bags today. This is the only pellet type I have found so far that lets me run my stove more than 3 full bags before cleaning/scraping down the burn pot, including the cheaper big box deals and seemly newp. I usually attribute this to my stove type though...

My last ton of okies has been producing lot of ash here in my NPS45 after a couple days consecutive burning.

Pellet quality varies all over the place. These Doug Fir Blazers are the best out of the three I have tried so far. (Okanagen, North Idaho Energy Logs and Blazers).

They have gobs of ash but burn in a fashion much like Doug Fir Bark. A nice bright flame, gobs of heat and quite a bit of ash. The pellets get very small before they get blown out of the pot where as the other pellets I tried seemed to blow out when they got down to about 1/2 their original size.

Status
Not open for further replies.