Okies and Cubex in Brewer Maine!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorne41

Jan 12, 2009
Central Maine

Hi Folks, I found some Okies and Cubex in Brewer, Maine for those who are looking for some quality wood pellets here in Central Maine. I needed 10 bags to finish the heating season off and was checking around to see if any of the Big Box Stores had any left and none did, they were all out. I stopped by the EverGreen Home Solutions Store ( 989-0074) on Wilson St. in Brewer, Maine and they've got 12 tons left as of today. They've got Okies ( Okanagans) , Cubex, and Corinth pellets. I picked up 10 bags of Okies to finish off the season. I'm looking forward to trying them out! So if any of you Central Maine pellets burners are looking for Okies and Cubex, you know where to find them. They're $6.00 a bag for Okies and a little cheaper for Cubex and Corinth, but it's still cheaper than oil. -----Lorne.

lorne41 said:

Hi Folks, I found some Okies and Cubex in Brewer, Maine for those who are looking for some quality wood pellets here in Central Maine. I needed 10 bags to finish the heating season off and was checking around to see if any of the Big Box Stores had any left and none did, they were all out. I stopped by the EverGreen Home Solutions Store ( 989-0074) on Wilson St. in Brewer, Maine and they've got 12 tons left as of today. They've got Okies ( Okanagans) , Cubex, and Corinth pellets. I picked up 10 bags of Okies to finish off the season. I'm looking forward to trying them out! So if any of you Central Maine pellets burners are looking for Okies and Cubex, you know where to find them. They're $6.00 a bag for Okies and a little cheaper for Cubex and Corinth, but it's still cheaper than oil. -----Lorne.

Hey, that's great. Gotta get a few of each to try out, well, Okies and Cubex. Burned Corinth already, may again, but not by choice. Wouldn't pay $300 / ton for anything right now.

hossthehermit said:
lorne41 said:

Hey, that's great. Gotta get a few of each to try out, well, Okies and Cubex. Burned Corinth already, may again, but not by choice. Wouldn't pay $300 / ton for anything right now.

Hi Hoss, I was happy to see those brands right here in Central Maine too, I'd been wanting to try out some Okies since all the other members of the forum are tellin' us how good they are. I hate to pay that much for pellets but I only need 10 bags to get me thru the next couple of weeks, I still have some Green Team on hand so I'm good until May! I'll fire up the ol' pellet stove tonight and try the Okies out. It will probably drive me out of the house with heat but I'm not turning on the oil furnace just on principle... It's going to be in the high 60's to 70 the next few days so I don't think any of us are going to be burning many pellets--- Com'on Summer! LOL----Lorne.

I can't wait to hear what you and hoss think of them. Keep us posted.

I still not totally convinced mother nature is done with us just yet. I will keep the stove ready until the end of May or early June. Just in case she sends us one last "blast". :)

jtakeman said:
I can't wait to hear what you and hoss think of them. Keep us posted.

I still not totally convinced mother nature is done with us just yet. I will keep the stove ready until the end of May or early June. Just in case she sends us one last "blast". :)

I don't have any doubt they're as good as you guys say they are! It's a little late in the Spring to be trying them out but I'll let you know how much I'm smoldering in the house. The last couple of nights I've had to crack the kitchen window open to let some of the heat out and that's with the pellet stove on it's lowest setting...

Heyyyyy, whatcha' mean " one last blast" .... you must be referrin' to all that snow coming out of Washington D.C. chortle....

We've got 70+ degree temps coming the next 3-4 days, I'm crankin' up the BBQ and stocking up the fridge! LOL

I've burned a ton or so of Okie's from Evergreen this winter. Great pellet. I also burned a ton or so of Cubies I got from Rockie's stove shop in Augusta. They are nice too. I get more heat from the Okie's though. I think it's because the Cubex are longer and don't feed the same through my stove. Good to hear someone in Bangtown is picking up Cubex. I'm currently burning Barefoot. My stove loves them. Very clean and very hot. I'm getting them at 275 a ton. Certainly not a great deal, but pellets around here are never a great deal. I'll put 5 tons of these in the garage by end of April.

schmeg said:
I've burned a ton or so of Okie's from Evergreen this winter. Great pellet. I also burned a ton or so of Cubies I got from Rockie's stove shop in Augusta. They are nice too. I get more heat from the Okie's though. I think it's because the Cubex are longer and don't feed the same through my stove. Good to hear someone in Bangtown is picking up Cubex. I'm currently burning Barefoot. My stove loves them. Very clean and very hot. I'm getting them at 275 a ton. Certainly not a great deal, but pellets around here are never a great deal. I'll put 5 tons of these in the garage by end of April.

Evening Schmeg,
Good to hear from another Mainer! I burned a couple of bags of Cubex last year and found they did burn hot and clean. I've burned 1.5 tons of HD Winter Warmth ( Hamer's Hot Ones) most of the Winter and they burned HOT with a little ash. The rest of the Winter I've been burning Green Team
(Lowes) and they are really good and clean but not as hot as the HD Winter Warmth pellets. I've still got some of the Green Team on hand and 1/2 a bag in my pellet stove that I'm burning right now and will load the Okies in after they run out. I agree with you about price and I really hate to pay the prices that we have up here in Maine, especially when I read that other forum members are getting Okies for $225.00 and less.... $ 275.00 to $300.00 is the average here for quality pellets with medium grade ones for around $250.00. I don't know if I'll be burning much of the Okies until it's gets cool and rainy again, the next 4 days are lookin' warm and sunny, something we're not used too....

BTU said:
lorne41 said:
schmeg said:

Evening Schmeg,
Good to hear from another Mainer! I burned a couple of bags of Cubex last year and found they did burn hot and clean. I've burned 1.5 tons of HD Winter Warmth ( Hamer's Hot Ones) most of the Winter and they burned HOT with a little ash. The rest of the Winter I've been burning Green Team
(Lowes) and they are really good and clean but not as hot as the HD Winter Warmth pellets. I've still got some of the Green Team on hand and 1/2 a bag in my pellet stove that I'm burning right now and will load the Okies in after they run out. I agree with you about price and I really hate to pay the prices that we have up here in Maine, especially when I read that other forum members are getting Okies for $225.00 and less.... $ 275.00 to $300.00 is the average here for quality pellets with medium grade ones for around $250.00. I don't know if I'll be burning much of the Okies until it's gets cool and rainy again, the next 4 days are lookin' warm and sunny, something we're not used too....

lorne41...let me clear something up for you and anyone else here... Any Okanagan product that is selling ANYWHERE in New England for $225 or less has special circumstances behind it. Maybe it was older stock left outside too long (EVERYTHING is now stored inside, so this will NEVER be repeated...EVER...at least by us, can's speak for any dealer how they store the product)...or a dealer is blowing stock out to either get more space in their yard or just turning stock into cash at whatever price they can get. There isn't a single dealer that can buy clean, fresh, new stock for that price and make a profit....their cost is more than this....

We have two warehouses that service the New England market and the closer a dealer is to one or both of them, typically the less they pay, but even if a dealer picks up the product themselves, they have a cost more than $225. As I have mentioned on here before, we did have a couple of those special circumstances that arose last season, but as far as I know, ALL of that stock has been now sold, or if not there is very little left...For those lucky enough to find some and take advantage of the pricing...consider yourself special.

We can't sell it for less and a dealer can't sell it for anything close to that price and make enough profit to even make it worthwhile or really even cover his costs, let alone make a true profit....so please don't be fooled thinking those older prices are anything close to more recent or normal pricing of the product... You know the ol' saying....If it looks too good to be true...it probably is ......

Hi BTU,
I hear you and I understand, it's not easy being competitive in the pellet business or any other business reflective of the national economy right now. My comment wasn't directed at your product in particular, the point that I was trying to make that the we Mainers always seem to pay more for everything up here, not just pellets. Seeing other forum members post prices for Okies for $225.00 just reinforces that impression that we're paying more up here regardless of the particulars ( I know-I know, you've already explained that). I consider $300.00 a ton for pellets as the maximum that I am willing to pay, after that the ol' oil furnace clicks on and I don't have to clean it every two days. I believe that there is an economic tipping point for most things and $300.00 is that point for pellets. I know from reading this forum that you produce a superior product and that pellets burners don't mind paying for quality. It's just that we Mainers are always looking for the best deal we can get and at the lowest price!
Please note that I did buy 10 bags of Okies today and that I'm burning them right now and it's warm here! ----Lorne.

Yeh, point was, our cost of living here is higher on all goods including a higher tax burden, pellets are no exception. With that being said, I'ves bought and burned pellets from
just about every source from this area, and if I'm going to pay 250 a ton for medium grade stuff, it's worth it to me to pay a little extra for the best. An extra 100. a season doesn't make a
difference to me. Still better than burning oil.

The pellet biz in ME is rough: It all depends on shipping costs (the killer when you live in the easternmost state of the union, surround by canada and ocean), quality product (hard to find from most locally made sources), storage/ handling costs and waste (there's always a few wet/ripped bags, irregardless of the brand, and a forklift ain't free). If you can pull a $1 profit per bag after its all said and done as a dealer, you are doing well. Quality pellets will run you upward of high 200's to 300 dollars a ton, every time: Like BTU said, if you can find those for 225 a ton, get ready for a bunch of wet pellets, broken bags, or both. You may luck out and make it okay, but my guess is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.