Okies for 758 or Clear Choice for 724

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madge69

Nov 18, 2010
central ma
I get my new vista flame VF100 free-standing installed on Dec 8th. Trying to learn all there is to know about pellet brands. My dealer can deliver 2.6 tons of "Clear Choice" brand pellets for $724, but I also found a supplier that can deliver 2.6 tons of Okies for 758.

Stove is going into a relatively small first floor area, (kitchen, br, living room, dining room, total footprint of 24x32) with open staircase to upstairs. (It's a colonial). I'm afraid the higher output of the okies may be too much for that space.

What would you do?

Clear Choice may not be the clear choice without trying them first. We are pretty sure there made by NEWP's. Which they have been about middle of the road.

Try both brands if possible. Pretty much whats recommend to do before you purchase large volumes. If you can't try? Go with the Okies there a very clean pellet!

X2 with Jay.

It's best to try before buying bulk. If you cannot try first, go with Okies. Dont worry about too much heat from any pellet, the stove will just use less fuel and you will save.

edit: Oh and welcome aboard !!!!!! Great Info, Great Folk here.
Pics, we need pics after the install or it did not happen !!!!! :lol:

When my dealer tech was here servicing my stove a few weeks back, he gave me a flier for the Clear Choice. I had not heard of them before. He said they were either similar to or the same as LG Granules (can't remember which and I'm not entirely sure he knew what he was talking about in that regard either). Obviously, he was trying to push them a little. If anyone want to see the flier, I can scan it and post it here. Just let me know.

Okies are great so out of those two that's what I'd get.
By Dec 8th it will be plenty cold in Central MA so even
if you have to keep the stove on the low setting I think
you'll be fine.

Xena said:
Okies are great so out of those two that's what I'd get.
By Dec 8th it will be plenty cold in Central MA so even
if you have to keep the stove on the low setting I think
you'll be fine.

I agree w/ Xena....get the known good brand (Okies), and don't worry about them being "too hot"......you can always turn the stove down.

Seems woodpellets.com and Harman are teaming up here. I see the Harman/woodpellets.com sweepstakes going on. So thats probably whats going to be the pellet they give away.

With some back tracking I found out Eagle Valley is bagging the cleanfire pacific. So the softwood Clear Choice is probably the same pellet. The Clear Choice Hardwoods blend would be Cleanfire or NEWP's Warm fronts most likely. For what its worth Eagle Valley had a nice pellet.

Still have to give the Okies there due, Nicely made pellet!

Status
Not open for further replies.