Okies in a Breckwell Big E

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletdude

Feeling the Heat
Hey Guys and Gals,

One of my customers bought 2 tons of Okies the other day. He went home and burned 5 bags. Called this morning and he said he was very disappointed. Said the glass turned black in less than an hour and within 8 hours the burn pot had a clinker and he had to shut the stove down to remove each day. Said he mixed them with Lignetics and no help. Then ran straight Ligs and it was OK. What do you think? Burning a Breckwell Big E

Steve

i bought 2 tons from BT the other day and burned 2 bags, very dirty glass in my englander, black soot very quickly within a few hours.
I want to think that I want to adjust my stov a bit and re-clean it, but I burned a couple bags of okies this past winter and was very satisfied, not sure what's going on now with this batch........

I've been running some this spring too.
On low settings seem to cloud up the glass and leave some carbon in the burnpot (harman). The few cold nights i've burned them they seem to burn cleaner.

My bags have had high level of fines compared to my barefoots.

pelletdude said:
Hey Guys and Gals,

One of my customers bought 2 tons of Okies the other day. He went home and burned 5 bags. Called this morning and he said he was very disappointed. Said the glass turned black in less than an hour and within 8 hours the burn pot had a clinker and he had to shut the stove down to remove each day. Said he mixed them with Lignetics and no help. Then ran straight Ligs and it was OK. What do you think? Burning a Breckwell Big E

Steve

PD,

Does the bigE have a cast iron burnpot? My neighbor has an E that has the cast pot and had the clinker issue. Wonder if its the cast iron causing a reaction??? Anyway I scored 25 bags for a nice price(YES-------I stole them)!

First batch I tried seemed fine(clear bag), Second batch(white bag) I had to give it a little bit more draft air to clean it up. But still threw awesome heat.

Let me know?
jay

The guy said the heat was awesome - just that the stove became a mess with the carbon and the Clinker in the pot.

Guess he shoulda bought a couple bags to try, first.
Looking at the replies, if you have dirty glass burning Okies, you're a moron that doesn't know how to run your stove. If you have dirty glass burning Maine Woods, you're a moron for buying bad pellets.
Sounds to me like switching to a "magnificent" pellet requires an entire new learning curve on how to operate your stove.
Guess I'll have to stick with burning dirt, I'm too old to learn how to do it right.
The other possibility, is that, in an effort to control manufacturing costs, in order to make them affordable to the unwashed masses, the manufacturer reduced the amount of HOLY WATER that these pellets were annointed with.
Don't take it personal. We all got our own little cross to bear.

moron your grandma....

Try lowering the feed rate if you can. Pretty much the same as giving more air.

The Okies did the same thing to me this past winter when I switched from Geene Team. Lowered the feed rate and it cleaned right up.

A friend had issues with the glass getting dirty quickly on an XXV. She did not have these issues with NEWP.
It all depends on the stove and setings.

About all you can do with the E is adjust the damper air. The feedrate is fixed with each heat setting. There is no adjusting it. Also you need to adjust the damper for each heat setting because the bigE doesn't have a variable combustion blower. It is a fixed speed setup. Takes a bit of tweaking to learn and best to run on the lean side.

With the bigE that I owned and the bigE my neighbor own's they pretty much prefered hardwood pellets and really love the Oak pellets. I had the best results with Turmans and Cubex in my E. The bigE didn't like to idle with the softwoods. When I burned softwoods I would not burn them in the shoulders. Lets just say it's a pellet picky stove! Have him crank up the setting to 3 or higher and I bet the burn cleans up nicely(might need to open the windows though).

I agree with Hoss on the try before he bought part! And I must be a double moron cause I will burn both the Okies and the Mainewoods. But only because I dumped my picky stove! :lol:

Is it the pellets? Or is it the stove? Having owned a bigE and delt with it first hand, I would say stove! But thats just me and my opinion! Now is the time to think upgrade and a tax credit?

j-takeman said:
Does the bigE have a cast iron burnpot? My neighbor has an E that has the cast pot and had the clinker issue. Wonder if its the cast iron causing a reaction??? Anyway I scored 25 bags for a nice price(YES-------I stole them)!

Does the stainless burnpot work any better in the Big E? If I turn the air up, I end up blowing half burnt pellets out of the burnpot, If I turn it down, I end up with clinkers. Can't seem to find that sweet spot.

Ken-H said:
j-takeman said:

Does the stainless burnpot work any better in the Big E? If I turn the air up, I end up blowing half burnt pellets out of the burnpot, If I turn it down, I end up with clinkers. Can't seem to find that sweet spot.

Do you have the burnpot collar? It extends the burnpot sides up another inch or so and fixed most of that issue. Contact Eric at Kinsman stoves(he's a member here) And see if he still has some of them.

[email protected]

330-448-0300 or 440-536-0198 EST business hours

http://www.brookfieldstoves.com

j-takeman said:

Do you have the burnpot collar? It extends the burnpot sides up another inch or so and fixed most of that issue. Contact Eric at Kinsman stoves(he's a member here) And see if he still has some of them.

[email protected]

330-448-0300 or 440-536-0198 EST business hours

http://www.brookfieldstoves.com[/quote]

Yes, it has the burnpot collar. It can still blow pellets over that.

Maybe that's why you had good luck with hardwood pellets in your Big E, I assume they are denser/heavier.

All I have for exhaust pipe is 18" of Duravent straight out the wall with a vent hood on the end, so there's not a lot of backpressure.

Still might be able to get the bigE to run the softies. Do small adjustments with the damper. I was only moving mine about 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch at a time. If you move it more than that its hard to find the sweet spot.

i dont have a big E But i do have a breckwell,i have no problem what so ever burning softwoods. i do agree with jay that my stove does love the hardwoods but with a little tweeking here and there the softwoods do just fine ..maybe it is his stove that is causing the problems dirty airwash and a dirty stove.

smilejamaica said:
.maybe it is his stove that is causing the problems dirty airwash and a dirty stove.

I gave it a thorough clean, including the airwash and a leafblower treatment, just last weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.