okies......lots of ash in this batch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEMI

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2009
connecticut
had to empty the ash pan after 19 bags....last season i was able to go over a ton before emptying the ash pan

still puttin out great heat just more ash for some reason

HEMI said:
had to empty the ash pan after 19 bags....last season i was able to go over a ton before emptying the ash pan

still puttin out great heat just more ash for some reason

The secret to a successful business plan........... convince everybody that you're the best, then you don't hafta be.

I am unimpressed with the Okies... more ash than I expected and talk about dusty, sheesh!

I like the Greene Teams a have left over from last year better.

My Western Elites (Doug Fir) have more ash this year, too. My dealer CALLED ME to tell me to let me know and told me keep the bags and I'll get 'an adjustment' on the price when I come back for more...

Dougsey said:
I am unimpressed with the Okies... more ash than I expected and talk about dusty, sheesh!

I like the Greene Teams a have left over from last year better.
i dont have much dust and the fines are very minimal (best i seen), but the ash.....wow

slls said:
Can you say bark.

WOOF WOOF ????????

But, seriously, folks, i'm sure your stove is dirty, or something is out of adjustment.

hossthehermit said:
slls said:
Can you say bark.

WOOF WOOF ????????

But, seriously, folks, i'm sure your stove is dirty, or something is out of adjustment.
did a complete cleaning including the blowers and leaf blower, any adjustments i could make with my p43 other then the feedrate ?

Could just be batch variance. If your stove seems to be running fine and has a brisk flame? I'd say pellets.

Do we see a little fiber issue with the Okies! Maybe BTU has something on this?

i've been struggling with my stove for a while now and i am leaning towards the pellet being the issue.have always loved the okies but somethings not right this year.getting better heat out of the green team than the okies and yes ,a lot more ash and fines this year.also getting clinkers this year with the okies and never had that issue in the past.interested to hear from BTU

I seem to be getting a lot more ash with the okies this year too. Also a lot more carbon build up in the burn pot. Still throws the heat though.
Jim

BTU is silenced!!, Burned a old clear bag of Okies yesterday, today I'm on a bag of Hamer's and less dust good heat, going to Agway this friday for a ton of AGGIES!!

BTU said:
I think they are ALL good brands, but IMHO the Okanagan Pellets for only $5.79 per bag is the deal here.. Highest heat value of all of them and the lowest ash left over. To me that is a no brainer...but then again, I am bias to this brand..I know they are an excellent pellet and you would be very pleased ...worry free, great product..

hamer hot ones, lots of ash and clinkers but the heat is amazing just have to scoop out the burn pot 2x a day which is a pain, will buy something else next year but will try before i buy next time.

I will add maybe too much pellet feed. We are seeing many dense brands mentioned with this issue. Hamers, Cubex, Barefoots, Spruce Pointes and Somersets. I think we need to start a thread with these brands and what stoves are having issues with them. Maybe we can get them tweaked for better burns?

Also see this thread!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/66727/

Burning only Okies here (24x7),and they are running so much cleaner than the last years Maine Choice pellets that I was able to change from cleaning every three days out too at least a week.
The only thing I changed was to reduce my feed rate.
At first I was getting a soft crust building up on the bottom of my burn pot that was interfering with my burn. I needed to break up it up, because it would not drop down into the ash pan when pulling the clean out rod, but after reducing the feed rate that issue has all but disappeared.

No issues with high ash or clinkers with my Okies but WOW my bags are loaded
with more fines than usual.

I have the "older" batches with the clear bags and am starting to suspect the
place I got em from restacked the pallets before I got hold of em.
Too much handling.

I've burned about 3/4 ton of Okies this year and have noticed a lot of dust in the bags and more ash than my other two favorite pellets (North Idaho Energy and Atlas Premium). On the other hand I get a little more heat out of the Okies than the others. In another thread I noted that the consistency on size of pellet of the Okies is a big plus in my opinion, however a little less dust and ash would be welcome.

There are several brands out here that are having "off" years in my opinion. When you talk to the stove shops in the area you hear a lot of people complaining about brands that over the years have been very good. My theory is that there is a lot more competition for good mill fiber as the recession has cut back production and closed a lot of saw mills in the region.

The only brand that I use regularly that hasn't been affected is the North Idaho Energy Pellets. The are very consistent in quality and produce almost no ash and the cleanest I've ever used. OTOH they range in length from 3/4" to 3" and can play havoc with auger at times.

Fish On said:
Rooscooter said:
I've burned about 3/4 ton of Okies this year and have noticed a lot of duct in the bags and more ash than my other two favorite pellets (North Idaho Energy and Atlas Premium). On the other hand I get a little more heat out of the Okies than the others. In another thread I noted that the consistency on size of pellet of the Okies is a big plus in my opinion, however a little less dust and ash would be welcome.

There are several brands out here that are having "off" years in my opinion. When you talk to the stove shops in the area you hear a lot of people complaining about brands that over the years have been very good. My theory is that there is a lot more competition for good mill fiber as the recession has cut back production and closed a lot of saw mills in the region.

The only brand that I use regularly that hasn't been affected is the North Idaho Energy Pellets. The are very consistent in quality and produce almost no ash and the cleanest I've ever used. OTOH they range in length from 3/4" to 3" and can play havoc with auger at times.

3/4 to 3" pellet! wow those are big.

Long pellets in the mix kill the fuel charge. You probably will see inconsistent flame high with them. This also allows the fuel to completly burn in the burnpot. So no incomplete burn like some of the dense fuels are having issues with.

Break all the pellets up to about 1/2 inch long and try them. I just bet you see different results! But what do I know?

I have been lucky with my oakies so FAR........... But I have noticed some bits of wood and chips in the bags not like you regualer fines.

Also a few black bits that looked like tootise rolls!

But I vacume all my pellets to watch what goes in my stove, plus there is no dust.

I picked up 25 bags of Okies last spring from a fellow that said they clinkered on him. We though it was because of the cast burnpot. I burned 5 bags and all I got was some black glass. I tweaked the feed trim down 2 settings and they burned well for me. I have 20 bags left I am saving for the cold season.

This same fellow bought Hamers this season. He has the same clinker issue with them. I'll buy them when he gives up on them. :)

Oh, I am so hoping he buys Somerset next! :cheese:

j-takeman said:
Fish On said:
Rooscooter said:
I've burned about 3/4 ton of Okies this year and have noticed a lot of duct in the bags and more ash than my other two favorite pellets (North Idaho Energy and Atlas Premium). On the other hand I get a little more heat out of the Okies than the others. In another thread I noted that the consistency on size of pellet of the Okies is a big plus in my opinion, however a little less dust and ash would be welcome.

Long pellets in the mix kill the fuel charge. You probably will see inconsistent flame high with them. This also allows the fuel to completly burn in the burnpot. So no incomplete burn like some of the dense fuels are having issues with.

Break all the pellets up to about 1/2 inch long and try them. I just bet you see different results! But what do I know?
I take the good with the bad. The North Idaho Energy Pellets are very low ash.....very low, however they tend to be very long with most of the bag being 1 1/2" to 2" with some at 3" or so.

It does make for inconsistent feeding. I try to "stir" them in the hopper a few times each bag I add to break the longs ones down. I have to be vigilant setting the stove when going from them to Okies as they feed much faster (shorter pellets) and have higher ash. Damper out (open) and settings down a notch for the Okanagan's it written on a post-it near the thermostat for the "un-educated" in my house.

Rooscooter said:
j-takeman said:
Fish On said:
Rooscooter said:

I take the good with the bad. The North Idaho Energy Pellets are very low ash.....very low, however they tend to be very long with most of the bag being 1 1/2" to 2" with some at 3" or so.

It does make for inconsistent feeding. I try to "stir" them in the hopper a few times each bag I add to break the longs ones down. I have to be vigilant setting the stove when going from them to Okies as they feed much faster (shorter pellets) and have higher ash. Damper out (open) and settings down a notch for the Okanagan's it written on a post-it near the thermostat for the "un-educated" in my house.

Or try mixing with the Okies 50/50(bag for bag) You will get the best of both in a blend. Should also help the inconsistent flame hieght too.

j-takeman said:
Rooscooter said:
j-takeman said:
Fish On said:
Rooscooter said:

Or try mixing with the Okies 50/50(bag for bag) You will get the best of both in a blend. Should also help the inconsistent flame hieght too.

I've got a friend that uses a 32gal garbage can to "mix" his pellets. He puts a 1/2 bag of each in and puts the lid on and tips it on its side and rolls it around for a while then dumps them in the hopper. I am thinking of implementing it this year, but haven't had the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.