Okies or Granules LG

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradH70

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2011
South West NH
I'm ready to pull the trigger on 6 tons of pellets for next heating season. I can get Okanagans for $289/ton + $16 delivery or Granules LG for $265/ton + $59 deliver. I save $100 going with the LG. Does anyone have experience with both of these pellets? I used Okies last heating season and loved them but I have never burned LG's.

Or I could go all out and get MWP blend for $239/ton + $15 delivery charge. I would save $300 over the Okies. I have read good and bad about these pellets.

I think I have a plan. Buy 3 tons of Okies for mid season heat and 3 tons of MWP for shoulder season heat. This saves me $150 over going with all 6 tons in Okies and then I get to test out the MWP during the "not so critical" heating months. I don't mind cleaning my stove, I do it twice a week even with the Okies. It is the difference in heat output between the Okies and MWP that I would be most concerned with.

I burned both the LG's and Okies. Okies get my knod with more heat and less ash than the LG's.

I like your plan, Your MF stove will eat about any pellet. So save where you can. MWP burned good in my beast and do well in the shoulders(I could go thru most of the season actually) and Okies in the cold.

You might even get away with 4 tons of MWP and 2 of the Okies? I think you will be surprised on how much heat you will actually get from the MWP.

I burned both the LG's and Okies. Okies get my knod with more heat and less ash than the LG's.

I like your plan, Your MF stove will eat about any pellet. So save where you can. MWP burned good in my beast and do well in the shoulders(I could go thru most of the season actually) and Okies in the cold.

You might even get away with 4 tons of MWP and 2 of the Okies? I think you will be surprised on how much heat you will actually get from the MWP.

Thanks jtakeman. I like the idea of a 4 to 2 ratio as well. And this is another $50 still in my pocket. I might think about this tonight and pull the trigger tomorrow. I'm ready to get the barn loaded back up with pellets. And I want to be sure to keep my "Pellet Pig" status!

Local dealer won't be selling Spruce Pointes next season. They will be replacing the Spruce Pointes with LGs. I figured I'd pull the trigger and take a chance. I bought a ton of LGs. I hope I'll be happy with them...

......I bought a ton of LGs. I hope I'll be happy with them...
LG's have always been a good solid pellet....never seem to hear anything bad about them. I think you'll be fine.

Reactions: MacP
I did LG last year. Burn real hot. Definitely recommend.

Reactions: MacP
Thanks for the reassurance. I can't wait to try them out. I like the clear bags that the LGs come in...

Local dealer won't be selling Spruce Pointes because it costs too much to get them into our area. It's too bad because they're great pellets.

Based on my experience with softwood pellets, LGs are not the hottest of the bunch but they burn clean with
no clinkers in my stoves. Have used them for a shoulder pellet for quite a few seasons.

Tried out the Okies for one winter and they burn really hot and clean.
Too bad they are becoming a little overpriced in my area.

Switched back to Spruce Pointe last season and will be burning them again this year.

Reactions: jtakeman
I was able to get two tons of LG's for $250 and didn't think that it was a bad price, especially compared to the Okies. So now I have 4 tons of MWP blend (keeping my fingers crossed on performance) and two tons of LG's which should be decent.

Two stoves in the house now, the M55 insert downstairs and a Quad Castile upstairs in the family room. So I think that even if the MWP don't put out the heat that I hope they do, with two stoves, we should still be pretty warm. I've tried quite a few different pellets in the M55 and can usually adjust the stove to get good heat out of it (but not quite like Okies heat though), and it seems that it is really the ash and clinkers that make up the difference between pellets in the M55.

I think that this season is the season to make a final decision on pellets to use. I'm going to try some Turmans since I have read good things about them. I try to keep the cost of pellets to $1,500 max for the heating season, but it seams that it is getting harder to do if you want a really good pellet (aka Okies). If it turns out that the MWP and LG and Turmans are no good, then I guess I will just have to change my budged for pellets and go back to Okies.

Based on my experience with softwood pellets, LGs are not the hottest of the bunch but they burn clean with
no clinkers in my stoves. Have used them for a shoulder pellet for quite a few seasons.

Tried out the Okies for one winter and they burn really hot and clean.
Too bad they are becoming a little overpriced in my area.

Switched back to Spruce Pointe last season and will be burning them again this year.

Spoken like a true softwood burner! I agree 100%

Keep an eye out for the Black Hills pondarosa pine pellets being bagged at the Upton plant. A little birdie sent me a sample and oh my! :cool:

Spoken like a true softwood burner! I agree 100%

Keep an eye out for the Black Hills pondarosa pine pellets being bagged at the Upton plant. A little birdie sent me a sample and oh my! :cool:

Have not seen em yet, thanks for the heads up

And like most good pellets, they won't find there way to Maine.

Status
Not open for further replies.