Old 118b up and running!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harryfatcat

Nov 30, 2012
South West New Hampshire
I finally finished the install yesterday and I could not be happier! What a nice burning stove, stays right around 400 stove top with very little effort and there were plenty of coals to keep it going this morning.

The liner install was no picnic at all and I wouldn't try it again under the conditions I have. My existing flue is approximately 6.5 x 11 and has 2 corbels in it, about 25' high, ending at a fireplace in my semi finished basement. I knew I'd never get a 6" liner down there so I went with a 5" liner and even that was a bear to get in. I was really hoping to snake right through the existing damper without destroying it but in the end I had to cut part of it out and chip out a few brick from the back of the fireplace. But, it's done and I'm happy, nice strong draft and very little visible smoke when it's cruising. :)

Reactions: ScotO
That's a great stove. I'm glad you took the time to fix it up and get it connected right. With care it will serve you well for many a year.

The old timer that had my stove before me made this slip on ash catcher/funnel sort of thing. It fits over the ash lip on the stove and helps guide the ashes and coals into the bucket. Works great!

Attachments

• 1356795704741.jpg
    1356795704741.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 225
Reactions: ScotO
Cool beans! I like that.

sounds like you got a good stove running there......looks like a nice packed load in there too! Glad to hear that 5" liner is pulling good draft, I bet you're tickled about that!

Reactions: harryfatcat
What did you end up using for burn plates?

I was hoping no one would ask that question... Still using the old ones for now. They are cracked but still intact and not warped so I feel safe in using them. I'm waiting for some materials to make new ones, hopefully soon.

You may be able to limp through the season with the old ones. Watch the crack closely. If it starts spreading or warping, times up.

Status
Not open for further replies.