Old Ashley

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Howdy all,
New member here,(old lurker!). Gotta say, this site and everyone who posts here is something I look forward to everyday. Summer's gonna be a little boring, (except for all the wood cutting, splitting, and stacking I'll be doing). Still in process of finishing the pole barn, and getting the property the way we want, etc.

Anyway, I know there are MANY experts here, and would like info on my stove, if possible. It's a mid 80's Ashley Model ABRH24 step top. I can provide more info if needed, and would like opinions re:refurbishing or buying newer ( pretty much know the answer, based on all my reading).
Just noticed a few days ago while doing more than just emptying ashes, that the back wall plate is bowed out quite a ways and has been filled with what looks to be cement. Can supply pics if needed. Suggestions?
Thanks, Dave

Dave, that does not sound good at all. I'd be a little leary of using that stove any longer.

Maybe it is time for you to do like we did and buy a new stove. We bought our first Ashley stove from the good folks at Sparr and I'm sure you know where that is just outside of Gaylord. The Ashley served us well for many years and we actually went through two of them. Last summer we bought a soapstone stove from Woodstock and have not been sorry. One of the best things about the stove is we use maybe 50-60% of the wood we burned with the Ashley!! Saves a lot of work for sure. I'll have a better handle on the wood usage as soon as this heating season ends, but right now it appears we'll burn about 40% less.

btw, welcome to the forum.

First, thanks for the welcome and reply.
Yeah, the plate thing bothered me, but this is the second season burning in it, and so far it's been ok, but yeah, it worries me. I've been looking at the soapstones and although very nice, quite a ways out of my price range right now. I'm going to nurse it along, and see if I can reseal that for next winter, then get a new stove. My only choice, unfortunately.

House is only about 1100 sq. ft., and once up to temp, the stove does keep the house quite warm no matter what's going on outside. I'd like a stove that'll get me full overnight (maybe 7 hrs.) burns,and this one doesn't do that. Very minimal coals left in the morning, and house is down around 59-60 deg.
Was just wondering if anyone had info on these (maybe a mod.?).
Another thing is the flue collar is 6", but whoever installed the thing transitioned right off that into 8" black, then what looks like 8" 2x wall. Total length is maybe 12-13 ft. Seems a little short to me, and draft seems to bear that out, although if I get it going well, drafts ok.
All in all, I'm loving the wood heat, although the first year was a bear since our "seasoned wood" was pretty wet. Seems to be the scourge of us all!
Again, thanks.

Dave, just a reminder. With the Ashley and especially with some wet wood, be sure to clean that chimney often. We used to do ours 3 times and sometimes 4 times per year just to be safe.

I know where you are coming from with the price of the soapstones. We too looked at them for a long, long time before finally getting around to buying one. Now I just wish I'd gotten it sooner! What a joy and the difference in heat is amazing. It even feels different and keeps us much warmer when the temperature drops and the wind howls.

How's the snow depth around Atlanta this year? btw, we used to live by Gaylord and I worked a lot around Hillman, Alpena and Rogers City so went right through Atlanta regularly. It's been a while though.

Hey Dennis,
Depending where I measure, probably about 1 ft. right now, but we've had 2 almost complete thaws this winter. Each time there was about 8" or more on the ground. Weird. Nothing but ice with about 1/2" of new snow really makes walking and driving interesting. You knew that though.
Last year when I didn't know any better, just started building fires and cursing my wet wood and slow draft. Well, finally went up top and found the flue had about an inch of real fluffy powder attached all around inside! Doh!
After kicking myself, then cleaning, and having gooder seasoned wood this year, it burns pretty well. If I'm not carefull, I can get the whole house up to 80 and the stove room is warmer. I've checked 3 times already, cleaned it the first time, and not needed the rest. Thought I'd check tomorrow, since it's supposed to almost 40 out. WOOHOO!
Got a grapple truck load of hardwood last fall, but only had time to cut about 1/3 of it and split/stacked 1 and 1/3 cords of that. The rest will be done by end of spring if it kills me. Should have about a cord left from this season (did that on purpose last summer), so I'm gradually getting ahead of the game. Burning about 4 cords/yr. these last 2 yrs. Still gotta be cheaper than nat. gas.
Later, Dave

Dave, for sure you should get another load of that wood this spring. Cut it, split it and stack it so it can season through the summer. Leave it uncovered over the summer also and then cover it when the fall rains begin. Gradually get so that you have at least a year's supply of wood on hand at the end of the burning season and you will get much more heat from much less wood.

I began a campaign to get extra wood ahead a few years back and now have about 5 years supply on hand with just what I've cut this year that is to be split and stacked yet. The rest has been stacked and covered and will stay there until it is used. We are getting a little older now and want to make sure that we have wood on hand even if something was to happen and we could not cut one year. It is a good feeling to have that much firewood on hand. Like money in the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.