Old axes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redpaint

Jan 13, 2014
Connecticut
image.jpg In my opinion old vintage axes are the best. They represent a period in time when America made the best product. They are inexpensive, easy to sharpen, hold an edge and have history. I'll put this 100 year old Kelly up against anything made today.

Who else has old axes? Post 'em up!!

I don't have a picture of it but I found an old fireman's axe head here in the plant a couple of years ago. We used to have our own fire brigade and had several of these axes apparently (this was well before I started working here). I took the head home and cleaned it up, sharpened it and hung it on a new handle. I was going to paint it red and give it to the guy who used to lead the fire brigade when he retired, Well he hasn't retired and I used it to split some rounds last year and it works great, plus it has a built in pickaroon (sort of) so i think I'll keep it :)

After I got that one and an old maul cleaned up and back into service I started looking around the flea markets and antique shops for old high quality made in the USA heads and it seems that the word is out and they want an arm and a leg for them. Gave up on that as a hobby...

With the exception of one boy's axe from Council Tool and a Husqvarna hatchet, every axe I own is old. A couple came from my Grandpa's place, found a couple more in the garage of an old house I bought in upstate NY. A whole bunch of them still need to be cleaned up/ re-handled, but I think my current favorite is an old 3 1/2 lb Jersey Powr-Kraft. I've been really surprised at how well it holds an edge.

Back when I was hand splitting I didn't know that there were "new" axes. I would lay a bet that every axe I have is at least 50+ years old (probably have 4 or 5 around if I look) and I would bet that a couple of them are over 100. Never used a maul or wedges only long handled, heavy head axes. I have never bought an axe, so they have all come off of the family farm (that I have owned for a while now). It was built in 1896 by my ancestors.

Still have a couple of misery whips to go along with those axes.

Adioas Pantalones I have an Emerson and Stevens axe from that exact factory. Love Maine axes.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
I thought my craftsman ax was old. Heck, it probably isn't even as old as I am (57).

Status
Not open for further replies.