Old Brownie's Locked and Loaded and Season 22 Is Underway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
The ole T-4600 just crossed 550 degrees and her 22nd season is on the go. Wearing her new paint job and breathing into her new liner.

And that is pine cooking with just a whisp of steam coming out of the stack.

Attachments

• brownie.JPG
    brownie.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 407
Man are you trying to get Spike jelleous that's quite a blaze going in there

Got my Encore up and running. First small load getting a good bed of coals then add some more splits working only the primary air control Loaded and going about and hour I topped it off witha few more splits the thermo now approaching 600 a few minutes later fully engulfed I dampered down and fired the cat. thermatically controled primary air set to 1/4 2.5 hours holding steady on 600 Got to go outside to check the smoke to make sure the cat is firing

edited the cat must be working no smoke at all comming out the chimney them still holding I think I'm going to like
this $500 stove. I do not have the dancing fire you have, just a glow of red from the coals and a few wisp of flames shooting up

63 degrees in here when I got home at 4:30 37 outside now and inside temp (in the adjacent room has climbed to 69 and still rising)

Yeah I am going to have to try to get a pic of the secondary burn on this old pre-EPA stove. In 1985 obviously Sierra was trying to come up with an answer to the coming requirements. What they did is put a smoke damn across the front of the firebox and not gasket the tops of the glass. At 500 - 550, now that I have better draft with the liner, you shut the primary down and the rolling dance of the blue flames starts on top of the wood just like with my Jotuls. It pulls the air in the from top of the glasses, under the smoke damn and over the top of the wood. It moved up to 650 and settled in nicely. Of course the exhaust is a few hundred higher than the EPA stoves. I suspect the exhaust on the cat stoves is too.

Ain't as fancy as the new ones but if it keeps this up it may not be the firebox for a meat smoker just yet.

Supposed to get our first freeze tonight.

elkimmeg said:
Man are you trying to get Spike jelleous that's quite a blaze going in there

Got my Encore up and running. First small load getting a good bed of coals then add some more splits working only the primary air control Loaded and going about and hour I topped it off witha few more splits the thermo now approaching 600 a few minutes later fully engulfed I dampered down and fired the cat. thermatically controled primary air set to 1/4 2.5 hours holding steady on 600 Got to go outside to check the smoke to make sure the cat is firing

edited the cat must be working no smoke at all comming out the chimney them still holding I think I'm going to like
this $500 stove. I do not have the dancing fire you have, just a glow of red from the coals and a few wisp of flames shooting up

63 degrees in here when I got home at 4:30 37 outside now and inside temp (in the adjacent room has climbed to 69 and still rising)

i hope you post some pictures of your stove setup don id love to see it going. you'll see mine tomorrow

thanks
Jason

BrotherBart said:
Of course the exhaust is a few hundred higher than the EPA stoves. I suspect the exhaust on the cat stoves is too.

Ain't as fancy as the new ones but if it keeps this up it may not be the firebox for a meat smoker just yet.

Supposed to get our first freeze tonight.

Nice stove, you really got your moneys worth out of her after 22 years.

As far as exhaust goes, my cat exhaust runs lower than my non cat exhaust use to. Stack temp about 350 while stove top temp is at 550. Another reason I think cats are a little more efficient.

You have to have a special licence to drive that "tank" !? ;-) Bet that bad boy get er hot when need be ......... I can c the hardship to even think of letting her go after so many years of service and love ( alright , i'll quit before the group hug police come around ) :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.