Old Catalyst

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buggyspapa

Nov 26, 2011
Scarborough, Maine
So, I'm refurbing a Jotul Alpha that, according to the guy I bought it from, burned 4 seasons and then was stored in the basement of the house he bought until he put it on Craigslist. The stove itself looks lightly used and didn't even smell of ash any more, no rust, gaskets all intact, just some cement that let go in the firebox. (Could have been from the struggle of getting it up a twenty foot slope in the snow? Eejit.)

The cat looks to be in decent condition, but I was wondering if the age alone would render it useless? I have ordered a Steelcat anyway, since it is still under budget for a basement stove, but if the original will still work, why not?

Thanks for any help.

Forgot to mention that the date of manufacture was 1988. Stamped on every single piece of the shroud and the firebox. Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.