Old Chain Saws :-) Enjoy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
Thought you all might enjoy this. :)
581790_10201428316003551_113925632_n.jpg

Hubba-Hubba;hm

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Love the paint colors. Cute lady, too... she must be 70 by now. ::P

Love the paint colors. Cute lady, too... she must be 70 by now. ::P
I think it is Dennis' Judy when she was younger. Now you know why Dennis married her ;)

I was just thinking, how much do those saws weigh. Doesn't look like she could pick one up.

I was just thinking, how much do those saws weigh. Doesn't look like she could pick one up.

With a figure like that, why would she need to?

The Lancaster saws were maybe ahead of their time, with all sand-cast magnesium construction, in the mid-1960's. Their weights are pretty close to our late-model Stihl's of similar displacement.

Five-60SL: 82 cc / 6 hp / 18 lbs.
Five-65: 82 cc / 6 hp / 15.5 lbs.
Six-10: 100 cc / 7 hp / 23 lbs.
Eight-20: 134 cc / ? hp / 23 lbs.
Forty-IL: 79 cc / ? hp / 15.5 lbs.
Forty-HL: 72 cc / 5 hp / 15.5 lbs.
Fifty-HLA: 72 cc / 5 hp / 15.5 lbs.
Sixty-HLX: 80 cc / 6 hp / 16 lbs.

Of that grouping, the only one that looks "heavy" is the Six-10. Might as well have the monster Eight-20, if you're going to be lugging 23 lbs.

I bought a non-running 1956-57 Pioneer RA chainsaw (green and silver model) several years ago (it was somewhere around 100-110cc), bought in on the 'net for 25 bucks plus shipping....non runner, looked like it was unused....

Got it home, and sure enough, it was in excellent condition, very little use. No spark, everything else was in good shape (except the fuel lines and such). Took the flywheel off to get to the points and wouldn't you know it, the points were loose....looked like someone in the factory didn't tighten the points enough and the screw became loose, probably when the saw was darned near new.

Tightened the points to specs (which were printed on the inside of the points cover), had plenty of spark then! A simple carb rebuilt, new fuel lines and WHAM-O.....ran like a sewing machine. Lots of grunt and torque, too!

sold it a while back for 140.00.......I only ever started it up and ran it for fun, so it was time for it to go...but it was a really cool saw...

I bought a non-running 1956-57 Pioneer RA chainsaw (green and silver model) several years ago (it was somewhere around 100-110cc), bought in on the 'net for 25 bucks plus shipping....non runner, looked like it was unused....

Got it home, and sure enough, it was in excellent condition, very little use. No spark, everything else was in good shape (except the fuel lines and such). Took the flywheel off to get to the points and wouldn't you know it, the points were loose....looked like someone in the factory didn't get tighten the points enough and the screw became loose, probably when the saw was darned near new.

Tightened the points to specs (which were printed on the inside of the points cover), had plenty of spark then! A simple carb rebuilt, new fuel lines and WHAM-O.....ran like a sewing machine. Lots of grunt and torque, too!

sold it a while back for 140.00.......I only ever started it up and ran it for fun, so it was time for it to go...but it was a really cool saw...

Would have loved to hear that big single run. Dinga ding ding ding.

Reactions: Ashful and ScotO
Would have loved to hear that big single run. Dinga ding ding ding.
I thought I had a video of it running, and revving..sounded like a YZ250 dirt bike...but I can't find that thing to save my azz......
I should've kept it. I sold it to a younger guy at work, he wants me to help him modify a B/C setup for it this fall or winter, when I get the saw back to do the work, I'll be sure to run it through a log or two and video it......

Reactions: NortheastAl
whats that weird chainsaw at the back with the circular "bar"...never seen anything like it
That's a bow bar....they were big down south for years, and they DO make bucking odd-positioned wood on the ground a bit easier......the log can pinch together behind the saw and it will keep cutting through.

But, they can be dangerous to use. I have a big bow bar for my Stihls and I've NEVER used it yet....probably never will. I just don't do a lot of downed trees in the woods anymore. Most of the stuff I cut is standing and needs brought down piece by piece!

Reactions: NortheastAl
Only cut with one guy that had a bow bar. He lost both of his legs at Khe Sanh and had prosthetics from the knees down. I went to buck a piece in a tricky position and Billy tapped me on the shoulder and said "Let me get this one. If I cut off my leg I can buy a new one.".

all makes sense now, thanks. I hate the log pinching!!

whats dangerous about them?

Well, if not handled properly, they can have nasty kickback. Also, the bottom of the bar, if not careful, can hit your leg. They can be handy for the right situation, you just don't see many people using them anymore...

No thanks! I think I will stay with standard bars. Those things look like you have to know what you're doing to handle them.

My Grandfather used an old McCulloch chainsaw that weighed about 25 pounds...need to look that one up. My Uncle still has it I am sure.

This arrived on my front step Monday afternoon - Mac 1-42 from 1961-62 with original 18" rollernose bar.Very strong compression,just needed a couple minor parts which I had in my stash,adjusted the carb & its running great now.

2-3 pulls cold,1 pull warm every time.>>

Attachments

• mac 1-42 001.jpg
    mac 1-42 001.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 247
  • mac 1-42 002.jpg
    mac 1-42 002.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 235
  • mac 1-42 004.jpg
    mac 1-42 004.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 243
  • mac 1-42 005.jpg
    mac 1-42 005.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 243
  • mac 1-42 parts list.jpg
    mac 1-42 parts list.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 254
This arrived on my front step Monday afternoon - Mac 1-42 from 1961-62 with original 18" rollernose bar.Very strong compression,just needed a couple minor parts which I had in my stash,adjusted the carb & its running great now.

2-3 pulls cold,1 pull warm every time.>>
Very cool saw!

Status
Not open for further replies.