Old corn crib.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kybishop

Feb 9, 2016
Kentucky
Old corn crib moved to the property years ago for wood shed. They work real well to keep wood dry and allow air to circulate through. Only issue is if there is a lot of air circulating, like say a snow storm. Then sometimes the snow circulates through too... It does keep it dry though.

100_8149.JPG
100_8884.JPG
100_8887.JPG
100_8743.JPG

Last edited:
Great place to stack and store firewood. I have 1 that I can use to store wood in.

Reactions: kybishop
You have reminded of something I have not thought about in 40 years. My dad had a barn at his old home place that had a corn crib inside the barn. Had open spaces between the slats to, obviously, allow air through. On this place, we raised cattle and hogs. Cool memory!

Still a critter haven even with out the corn. Just a double row stack provides a high rise apartment building for mice and such, single row not so much if out in the open, but in an enclosed area like the crib its like they are on the Government dole. I hear that spreading a bunch of moth balls around helps.

If it stays above freezing, give the mice a nice 5 gallon bucket half full of drinking water. They will drown themselves trying to use it. I have rid my new construction building of several mice that way. When I the find drowning victims I just toss them outdoors for the hawks and owls and refill the bucket half way.

Reactions: Jeffm1
Reptiles arn't much help in winter - hibernate. Now weasels would love that place, course they are real tuff on chickens.

I don't know. I don't have any sign of any critters in it whatsoever. We have had it there for maybe 40 years. Maybe between the snakes, cats, dogs and the chickens the critters don't have chance.

...and the coyotes that come by at night...

I would name that building "The copper head cabin" cause well.. the name explains itself

I would name that building "The copper head cabin" cause well.. the name explains itself

No varmints in it to speak of... A birds nest, that's it. The crib was free (just had to move it) and works great for us, has for many years. All I can say.

Copperheads are around. In the creeks, woods and rocky areas. We have lived here for 45 years and have never seen a copperhead anywhere close to the house or out buildings. They are around but like the woods, creeks, rocky areas and tend to stay close to water sources. We have lots of woods around us, the Kentucky River is 700' away from the house and a Nature Preserve next door. The house and property however is surrounded by open fields and pasture with livestock and the copperheads don't seem to like to venture out in those conditions.

My personal experience and the time I have spent hiking and growing up out here I have never seen copperheads anywhere other than in the woods, usually close to the river or in the rocks close to the creeks.

nice wood/stuff shed
door could use a lift

I've never found a mouse nest in a wood stack
I have found stashes of acorns and a small sunflower seeds stash from my bird feeder once.
We do get the occasional mouse in the cellar
but there are no more corn/hay fields around serving up lunch to four legged opportunists
a horse stable here and there in town but not near me.

Getting ready to build one myself...

I mainly notice the critters settling in and making nests when we have a shed or storage that gets little to no use. May be part of the reason why it doesn't have an issue with this. I am in and out of this crib/garage weekly. It did set unused for a bit and when I cleaned it out I found some old mice nests.

I have a huge garden shed that is closed up pretty well. I've got critters coming and going all the time. They slip in and under the smallest little openings. Part of nature I guess. Take care of the corncrib. It's a beauty.