old craftman chainsaw worth repair?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickb

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2012
St.Louis
I have an older craftman 16" chainsaw. The chain and bar are shot. The clutch seams like its gone as well. The engine seems to run ok once its warmed up. I replaced all the gas lines. Is it worth it to get all the pieces to fix up this saw or should I be looking at new/used other saws?

I'll just say this....I have an old one I'd give ya if you lived closer....;)

Depends on the saw. Some were built when Poulan made "PRO" saws. A few other manufactures made saws for sears but I think Poulan made the majority of them. If the model # started with 358 it is a poulan.

Will have to look at the model number. I know I bought this saw when we bought our first house around 14 years ago.

If cheap to fix, good to have as a loaner saw. Cheers!

I have a poulan saw from 98 the parts are hard to find I had the dawg pawls break in the starter pulley assembly and sears discountinued the part and had no replacement found the part used from a guy in Vermont but it's a solid saw so I wouldn't just scrap it if u could find the parts.

I love my old saws. But will say that yours don't owe you nothing. Give it a decent burial.

If you decide not to fix or keep it,check out your local craigslist there is probably someone willing to give it a home and maybe you a few bucks.

Bar and chain are wear parts as is a clutch. Check eBay for parts. People part out saws like yours for money. They usually get them free or very cheap.

I have an older craftman 16" chainsaw. The chain and bar are shot. The clutch seams like its gone as well. The engine seems to run ok once its warmed up. I replaced all the gas lines. Is it worth it to get all the pieces to fix up this saw or should I be looking at new/used other saws?

Is it "worth it" is not a question anyone can answer for you, but, I wouldn't bother

You're prolly gonna have $40 into it bar,chain and clutch .
If it were me I'd sell it on craigslist for $20 and put that towards a Stihl or Husky or try to find a similar Craftsman for parts.

A Craftsman 35cc was my starter saw until I really got into processing my own wood, at which point I bought a Stihl 390. The Craftsman has save me a couple of times, though, when I pinched the Stihl in a tree I was trying to drop. It still runs. I rarely use it but figure I couldn't get much for it so I just keep it for my backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.