Old Farmers Almanac winter prediction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MellieNH

Jan 12, 2010
Lakes Region NH
So hard to know how much to buy! I go through this every year. I don't have indoor pellet storage so I try to predict carefully. That being said, I still have about a half ton left over from last year.

Now the Old Farmers Almanac is predicting brutal cold and snow for New England so I think I'm going to listen to them this year. I just have a feeling and I hate running out and going to the store each week for bags. I also have mine delivered by Lowe's or Home Depot so Id rather just pay delivery fee once per year. Of course then I might have left overs again but I don't think I care :)

I haven't even looked at prices this year but I plan to do that this weekend. Maybe that will change my mind! lol

How about you all? You buying more than usual this year?

Mellie ☺

Reactions: jackhammer
I agree with the Farmers Almanac. I think we are due for a long, cold, NE winter. I have my usual four ton stacked and ready. Supposed to get into the 30's tonight, but it takes more than one cool night for me to turn on any kind of heat.

I agree with the Farmers Almanac. I think we are due for a long, cold, NE winter. I have my usual four ton stacked and ready. Supposed to get into the 30's tonight, but it takes more than one cool night for me to turn on any kind of heat.

I'm going to get 4 ton also. I just checked Lowe's and it's $6.29 for Green Team and $5.57 for Maine's Choice or Green Supreme. Big difference!! I think the $5.57 was the bag price if you buy a ton and there was no lower price for the Green Team. Service desk was backed up so I'll go back on Monday when everyone is at work.

I think we are going to get slammed for snow this user and we certainly need it. Glad I got the metal roof on this spring!!!

Guess I'll consult my weather rock and go snipe hunting to figure it out later.

Reactions: MellieNH
When the Old Farmer's Almanac calls for cold and snowy I drag out the lawn chair and suntan oil. >>

The original Old Farmer Almanac has almost the whole country in warm and mild. It was posted a while ago in the Inglenook section of this forum.

Attachments

• 20160924_231411.jpg
    20160924_231411.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 217
The original Old Farmer Almanac has almost the whole country in warm and mild. It was posted a while ago in the Inglenook section of this forum.
So does the National Weather Service, at least thru this fall, to the end of 2016.

Around here, cold = ice, to the point where I suspect no one outside the mid-Atlantic region will ever see its equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can hardly wait...:mad:

Pool.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only going down into the 40's here right now and supposed to be warmer later in the week. Still, I cleaned the chimney liner, scraped out the stove, sucked up some old ash and fired the Harman off for it's first lighting of it's 4th season anyway. It lit right up after the summer off, glad of that. It's good to make sure it works and it felt really nice in the cool but not cold house. It will be nice tomorrow morning, right now it's gone into shut down, it's 59 out at the moment..

FWIW, HD around here has Fireside Ultra, to me those are superior to what you have mentioned Lowes offering and the FSU price at HD is $4.99 a bag or $249 a ton. You do know that $6.29 a bag is $314 a ton ? That's crazy for Green Team, they aren't particularly special or anything. I can buy LG cheaper than that by a little bit . Fireside Ultra just about everyone on the forum will tell you is a very decent pellet and a lot hotter than the Green Supremes. Also, I don't think Maines choice is anything special either , so maybe go look at HD ! I'd take 4 tons of FSU any day over all those at Lowes that you mentioned..

It's only going down into the 40's here right now and supposed to be warmer later in the week. Still, I cleaned the chimney liner, scraped out the stove, sucked up some old ash and fired the Harman off for it's first lighting of it's 4th season anyway. It lit right up after the summer off, glad of that. It's good to make sure it works and it felt really nice in the cool but not cold house. It will be nice tomorrow morning, right now it's gone into shut down, it's 59 out at the moment..

FWIW, HD around here has Fireside Ultra, to me those are superior to what you have mentioned Lowes offering and the FSU price at HD is $4.99 a bag or $249 a ton. You do know that $6.29 a bag is $314 a ton ? That's crazy for Green Team, they aren't particularly special or anything. I can buy LG cheaper than that by a little bit . Fireside Ultra just about everyone on the forum will tell you is a very decent pellet and a lot hotter than the Green Supremes. Also, I don't think Maines choice is anything special either , so maybe go look at HD ! I'd take 4 tons of FSU any day over all those at Lowes that you mentioned..

I went with HD last year and they told me I couldn't pick which pellets I was getting! They had Maine's Choice, Green Supreme and Fireside Ultra. I took a chance but ended up with MC. I really wanted the FSU as I read good things about them. They are $259 a ton right now but I just think that if you are spending $1000 that you should be able to get what you want.

I wasn't crazy about the MC. They heat fine but the ash was crazy! I had to empty my ash pan all the time!

I think I'll go back to HD and speak to a manager.

I hope it doesn't get too crazy down your way this winter, that is where I'm from (as a kid) and I have relatives there. :)

Reactions: alternativeheat
Was 39 here this morning. Went to couple home improvement stores and saw pellets going out the gate by the ton. Both stores were selling a ton for $200. Feels good to have the stove going. We are overdue for another cold snowy winter here. I don't much care as I will be trying to get my folks settled in south TX this winter. Just hope the rains moderate.

Reactions: jackhammer
Status
Not open for further replies.