old fir vs. young fir

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
Here's an example of Douglas Fir of different ages. On the left, is Douglas Fir I had cut down on my property last April (2013). It's plenty dry now after 11 months and is the wood I plan to use for the rest of this burn season. It's real pitchy and the grain is wide. It takes off fine but is light and doesn't give real long burns. From the growth rings I estimate it's about 20 years old.
On the right is old growth Douglas Fir that came off my neighbor's property in December 2012. The tree guys that cut it down said it was over 100 years old. This old stuff made up the bulk of my fuel for this winter and made for good long burns. Nice, heavy stuff and under 20%. I still have a small row left.
The younger Doug Fir off my property is MUCH lighter and burns up MUCH quicker than the old growth. 12.12fir4.jpg
I'll still burn whatever I have available. But after this season, I've learned why OLD GROWTH Doug Fir is the primo stuff around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.