Old Fireplace Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
I was cleaning out my old 1975 Superior Heatform Fireplace today and noticed inside above the doors and lintel where the metal firebox meets the brick face was all rusted out and crumbling. I made a big hole about 1' long after banging out the rust. After further inspection I couldn't find any other deteriorating areas. This really sucks! We don't burn it often, but it's nice on those extra cold days and with the huge 6-7cu ft fire box it's nice to burn those oversized splits. I wonder if I could get away with patching it some how or just bite the bullet and look at either an insert or hearth stove? I did want to replace it eventually but not this soon, but I also don't want to do a half ash patch job and find out there is more deterioration somewhere else and end up burning the house down. I'm tempted to just rip the whole thing out and build a new hearth for a new Woodstock Keystone, but I think the wife likes the fireplace look. A Blaze King or Jotul Rockland would also look nice. Here's a pic of the fireplace in operation last year, couldn't take a pic of the damage yet. Dimensions are 35"w x 25"h x 23"d.

Attachments

• 100_0583.jpg
    100_0583.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 978
Todd,

I feel you pain. As part of our permitting requirements, we had to have our fireplace inspected prior to installing our Oslo. The inspector found a hole similar to yours but in our case it was not the fireplace firebox it was the cementing job at the top/back of the firebox right behind the damper. Somewhere, sometime, someone 'stuck a brick in it' to fix it. :( Maybe we were lucky because our fireplace is stone sided on three sides, which includes the rear which is actually a solid stone wall in our kitchen. I have no idea how long we had been burning the fireplace with that hole! Either way, when we installed the Oslo, with insulated liner, we bypassed the problem and passed city inspection with flying colors.

Our Oslo install is my avatar.

Shari

I did a job in one of the old summer mansions on the cape, where I removed a rusted out heatilator fireplace and built a replacement on site. It was long time ago but I remember that some of the welds were very inacessable.

I recomend that you inspect the rest of the unit with the aid of a welders chipping hammer. Whack it good where ever you can reach, and if the rest of the unit is sound, and the damaged area acessible, then weld it up and get some more years service.

...I’m tempted to just rip the whole thing out and build a new hearth...

BINGO!

Dune said:
I did a job in one of the old summer mansions on the cape, where I removed a rusted out heatilator fireplace and built a replacement on site. It was long time ago but I remember that some of the welds were very inacessable.

I recomend that you inspect the rest of the unit with the aid of a welders chipping hammer. Whack it good where ever you can reach, and if the rest of the unit is sound, and the damaged area acessible, then weld it up and get some more years service.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I know I could just cut out the loose rusty stuff. It's probably about 1-2" wide and 12-20" long. I might be able to fill the gap with furnace cement and stick a steel plate over it. But there is also some warpage in the plate above the heat tubes, maybe I can hammer it back. Money is pretty tight right now but with the tax credit it's awful tempting to throw an insert in there and get it done like I wanted to do eventually anyways.

You have wanted a stove in that fireplace forever. Do it! :coolgrin:

You know Todd that is a fairly easy fix. If the firebox is solid everywhere else. could have a plate welded on. Do you have a cap on your chimney,is the cement crown in good condition, what I am getting at is what is causing it to rust a water leak, condisation?

Resiburner said:
You know Todd that is a fairly easy fix. If the firebox is solid everywhere else. could have a plate welded on. Do you have a cap on your chimney,is the cement crown in good condition, what I am getting at is what is causing it to rust a water leak, condisation?

It seems to be solid everywhere else on the inside that you can see but who knows about the outer shroud you can't see and there is also some warp on the top plate where the top brick supply vent is. This fireplace was built with the house back in 1975 by my Grandpa and I don't think there was ever a cap on top til I bought the place in 2003. I already repaired the cracked crown. Maybe I need a pro to come look at it and I'll buy him a beer or two? ;-)

Todd,

I am keeping an eye on your fireplace re-do in case you decide to buy a Woodstock Keystone! There are ton of posts on the Fireview and somehow I think if you bought a Keystone, we'd be comparing notes!

Good luck,
Bill

I'm leaning pretty hard towards the Keystone, I even put down a deposit so I could get that $600 sale before it expires. Mason is coming out next week to check out the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.