Old Fireplace worth anything?....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtj53

Feb 16, 2009
Northwest Illinois
Just curious about this--I am going to be removing an older fireplace from my home, I bought this in 1991, probably didn't use it for more than 20 hours total. It is a Majestic 42, has approximately 25 foot of triple wall air cooled chimney. Is something like this worth anything to anyone or is there anyone that recycles this sort of thing? Just wondering what others have done in the past. I also installed a gas log in this approximately 10 years ago, that also is barely used. Thank you in advance...

I pulled a pre-fab sheetmetal fireplace out - it was walled into the corner of the great room. I put it on craigslist along with the double walled 12" piipe and got $180. Surprised I got so much, actually.

Sounds like you did well....that would pay for the removal anyway, I'd be real happy to come out like that. What I'm really, really after is just not to have to take it to a landfill. I think the chimney is stainless and I don't know if it's recyclable or not but I'd just like to get rid of this in a responsible way. Be even better if someone can actually use it again. Thank you for taking the time to answer...

The people that bought it had a 3 walled "cabin" on a small lake and were gonna use it kinda like an outdoor fireplace. Sheer luck to run across people with such a need. Maybe you'll run across someone only interested in the asthetics of flickering flames. Give craigslist a try - say $100...because they are $400 - $500 new. Another option - pull it and if you have roadside pickup - place there - bet a scounger will grab it and put it to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.