Q&A Old fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am buying a house with a fireplace built around the late 20's, early 30's. A previous engineers report said that there was no flue in the fireplace, but I know the fireplace has been used over and over by past owners. Is there anything specific I need to know about this old a fireplace and were they build to not need a flue back then?

Answer:

In general a fireplace of this age should have a flue liner made of clay. Have a local chimney sweep inspect it from the top and bottom, perhaps the engineer made a mistake.

If it is not lined, then it should not be used for wood fires until it is. You can use stainless steel liners (see Homesavers at https://www.hearth.com/prod.html) or other methods to bring it up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.