Old Fisher vs. Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatttFire

Feb 14, 2008
Snowbelt, Ohio
Here goes my second post!

I currently have an old fisher woodstove, dual air inlets, fire box roughly 24 wide x 18 deep x 12 step top tall! Will I get more heat if I opt. to buy a Summit! I am sure I will get efficencie right? Will I also get as much or more heat from the new summit? Also, which way should I go the summit, or T6?

thanks,

Jason

I don't know if you'll get a lot more heat, but suspect you will get about the same heat burning less wood and putting out a lot less pollution.

As to the Summit vs T6, it's up to your eyes and pocketbook. They're the same stove underneath.

You'll probably have to clean your chimney less often too, which is a bonus unless you like doing that sort of thing.
The Summit is deeper than it is wide, so you can load your wood straight in and fill 'er right up. It should also burn longer than the Fisher.

My brother just installed an Englander 30 in place of one of those Fisher's. The Summit puts more heat out than the Englander, but don't get me wrong, the Englander is a good unit.

Anyway, he is using about 1/2 the wood and getting just fine heat for the house. And, his neighbor thinks he stopped burning wood because there never seems to be any smoke coming from the stack anymore. Before, the Fisher was providing ample smoke aroma for the entire neighborhood.

So, if you have the cash, I'd go get that new unit right away!

I've been really impressed with my Englander. It's only been in a few weeks, and I'm still learning, but man, it puts out a lot of heat from surprisingly little wood.

Once I got some good dry wood... woah... talk about heat!

-ST

I just made the switch from old school (mama bear knock-off) to new school (Jotul F600) and the changes are dramatic. For once, the sales pitch was all true, even though I thought it had to be too good to be true. I am getting hotter temps, longer burns, less wood consumption and little smoke. Between savings on propane (furnace and logs) and wood (50% purchased), it will pay for itself in 3-4 years I figure. Plus aesthetically it is much cooler with the glass door, as I find myself "vegging" in front of the stove watching the flames dance - this in a fold up chair in the basement! Doing some serious thinking about finishing basement (read "man cave") now that I have such a cool fire show, so maybe the new stove will cost me more in the long run after all! :eek:hh:

I looked at the summit classic today! Black with nickel trim, ash pan ( which I thought was tiny) and blower for $2205.00 + tax!

What do you guys think?

One thing to consider is that fisher will be around for your great grandchildren. I have 2 friends that bought newere stoves 3 yrs ago that are looking at replacing them simply because they(like many things these days) are not built to last long periods of time. As to the smoke from a fisher, this is my first winter with one at first there were lots untill i learned how to run it and got a thermometer for the stove pipe to controll it better. Now hardly any smoke unless im starting it up or letting it die. Any way just my two cents on New vs Old. Final anwer for me is the fisher will last longer than probably 2 or 3 newer stoves so in the long run is it really cheaper to go newer? Also i dont know about yours but my fisher throws incredible amounts of heat if i want it to

also i would love to see pics of your stove cuz i have duel air inlets as well and sounds about the same size as mine

Buy the summit,unless you like tending the fire all day long. The summit owners here practically have a forum within a forum, thats how much they love them.

Myself,I am still burning an older pe insert,and today worked outside for 3 hours bucking and splitting,and when I came back inside had just barely enough coals to get the old beast going again. Yes,still lots of heat, but ya have to babysit it constantly.

It is also true that if I wanted to produce lots of pollution and cresote, I could have turned it right down and there likely would still be intact pieces of wood in the firebox, and I could have continued working outside for another 2 hours. However I choose to burn hot and clean,and don`t want to clean my chimney more than twice a year.

Go for it!! You will have no regrets :cheese:

Jacob I have attached a pic of the old girl, she is in rough shape ( beauty wise ) but puts out the heat! :mad: sorry pic to big have to try later
Sorry to keep asking you guys all these questions, but I have more!

The classic, and the T6 from PE, besides the cast cover ( basically ) what is the difference, and would the cast be better because it will hold the heat longer b/c of the cast? Are there more advantages, to the cast, and what if any are the disadvatages?

Jacob, my Avatar is a picture of my Fisher!

Jacob said:
One thing to consider is that fisher will be around for your great grandchildren. I have 2 friends that bought newere stoves 3 yrs ago that are looking at replacing them simply because they(like many things these days) are not built to last long periods of time.

Your friends obviously didn't buy Pacific Energy stoves.
The Summit will likely outlast the house it is being installed in. :coolsmile:

FatttFire said:
Jacob I have attached a pic of the old girl, she is in rough shape ( beauty wise ) but puts out the heat! :mad: sorry pic to big have to try later
Sorry to keep asking you guys all these questions, but I have more!

The classic, and the T6 from PE, besides the cast cover ( basically ) what is the difference, and would the cast be better because it will hold the heat longer b/c of the cast? Are there more advantages, to the cast, and what if any are the disadvatages?

The T6 is equivalent to the Summit with a cast iron shell. The Classic in cast iron dressing is the T5.

Advantages of the cast iron are good looks and some additional thermal mass. The advantages of the steel body, enameled clad are that it's enameled and easier to keep clean and sharp looking.

I know .................... but I have more questions!

Is the ash dump on the pedistal bigger than on the leg models?

maybe it looks deeper but I am not sure if it is or not as I do not have the ash dump don't really care for them myself. Because it takes me just as long to shovel or rake them in to the ash dump and the ash dump was like $125?? extra not sure it could have been more. Black and nickle looks good. I bought mine it is all black and is just a summit but we really like it keeps the house warmer than my old Earth Stove used to, and the Earth Stoves were really good stoves back in the day.

Most of the ash dumps you get are useless and you just take the ashes out like you do on the Fisher.

Comparing the Fisher to the Summit is like comparing a Model A to a Lexus.

FatttFire said:
I know .................... but I have more questions!

Is the ash dump on the pedistal bigger than on the leg models?

The ash pan on my pedestal stove holds ~ 3 gallons of ash. I don't think the pan on the "legs" stoves holds as much.
I find the ash dump works well on mine. It is close to the front of the firebox so you can push the ashes into it without disturbing the embers at the back of the firebox.
You can see Vanessa doing that in the video posted below:
http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur...ood_stove_operation_video-WS8011CD70-1_En.htm
:coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.