Old Franklin stove redo help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JBS1216

Dec 12, 2016
Pittsburgh
Hi everyone. I am new to fireplace use so I could use some help. In my house is this old wood Franklin stove from the 70's, I think. Im a carpenter by trade so I understand most of the info I've read on safe installation. Can anyone with experience in a situation like this guide me?

Right now the old hearth/base is too small, I believe. In the photos I have 18" from the doors to the outer edge of the wood front. The closest point on the back corners to the stud wall is 9". I want to redo this and want to do it right. With a older stove like this can I get it to 8" from finished wall? I plan on a cultured stone or thin brick veneer on cement board.

My question here is do I just space the cement board 1" off the wood studs to keep the stove 8" from the finished wall, or with a stove like this do I need to stay 18" from wall? The room is too small the have the stove 18" from wall. I would need to remove the stove. Is the correct option 1" spacers off wood studs, 28g sheet metal, then cement board/stone? The base is just wood 2x4 frame with plywood, then tile. I am going to take it out and use steel studs with 24g sheetmetal on top and stone to finish. Does this sound ok? I'm going to post pics and if anyone has info on this model stove please let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1130.JPG
    IMG_1130.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1135.JPG
    IMG_1135.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
Its 9" right now. Whoever built it 40 years ago did that. If I build the wall with spacers, sheet metal, and cement board how close can I position to wall with this stove?
I would imagine that if a shielded wall allows for 18" then that is the closet any part of the stove can be. But it looks Like you then won't have the front clearances.

A properly constructed ventilated heat shield will give you 2/3 reduction that meas 12" from combustibles

more info, just be sure the wall is ventilated correctly.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/#post-1987380

Tip: you can snap off 3" wide x 36" strips of cement board, double them up and screw them to the studs to make vertical 1" firring strips to create the 1" air gap.

Great. I would really like to get it down to 12" from back corners to finished wall. One question, do I need sheetmetal on the spacers, then cement board, or just cement board on spacers?

I would consider an ember rug in the front even if you meet clearances. Those things can be a bit sparky.

Great. I would really like to get it down to 12" from back corners to finished wall. One question, do I need sheetmetal on the spacers, then cement board, or just cement board on spacers?
Just cement board on spacers.

Status
Not open for further replies.