Old friend wants to buy bbq wood. He is in the back yard poker catagory.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Ok a old friend want me to supply his addition of bbq(we go back to cub scouts)lol. He wants 5 gallon bucks full of small chunk wood 10 in long 2 inch splits, not as easy as it sounds. Takes 10-15 min's a bucket to load split per bucket. Needs to be pignut, shaggy and apple only each wood in its own bucket. The question is what to charge keep in mind he wants to call and anytime to get more. (he does 6 contest a year and smokin at-least 3 days a week)

Also told him I would not charge him. Thats not what he is looking for. He wants to make sure it there at any given time he needs it.

If I remember correctly a small bag of chunks at menards is around $5.00 and would take probably over 7 bags to fill a bucket. So if it cost you $40.00 to buy at store maybe $30.00 ?

Here is a pic of bucket full! Those are about 4 gallon buckets and square.

Attachments

• z.jpg
    z.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 479
If a really good friend and you have lots of wood and time maybe $20.00 . If you have to supply bucket thats $3.00 at Lows

woodsmaster said:
If a really good friend and you have lots of wood and time maybe $20.00 . If you have to supply bucket thats $3.00 at Lows

Buckets I figure will get rotated but there mine figure 6-9 bucket's total if he doesn't lose or forget them.

It would be helpful if you could find a tire with the inside diameter a little bigger than that of the bucket. Then you fill the tire with your wood, smack-smack-smack, and you have your splits. Wrap a cord around them and lift the whole shebang over to the bucket. Repeat a time or two to get your bucket filled. Or better, give him some splitting practice and you supply the ten-inch rounds in exchange for the occasional bbq. I mean, how hard could it be for someone to split a 10" round?

I dont think I'd go less than $15.00

woodsmaster said:
I dont think I'd go less than $15.00

15 per bucket or all 3 for 15?

how good are his ribs and pulled pork? I'd be inclined to barter

Five pounds of the stuff goes for around twelve bucks here for hickory.

HardWoodW said:
how good are his ribs and pulled pork? I'd be inclined to barter

He's got trophy's every-where. He is looking to turn pro, and friendship at this point means nothing lol! He turning at-least 40 hrs on his smokers a week 80 percent charcoal. I would run 100 percent though.lol Wood is always an issue in this sport.

BrotherBart said:
Five pounds of the stuff goes for around twelve bucks here for hickory.

Wow! I dont think anyone around here could get him all 3 woods at a drop of a hat....Thats a big number!

That is just individual buys. The quantity he is talking about should bring a discount. Best you can do is find out what a cord of wood is selling for around there and then what the extra labor for chunking it would be and tack on for that and delivery.

Of course in those cases it is usually better to let him make an offer. Invariably it is more than you feel comfortable asking for.

BrotherBart said:
That is just individual buys. The quantity he is talking about should bring a discount. Best you can do is find out what a cord of wood is selling for around there and then what the extra labor for chunking it would be and tack on for that and delivery.

Of course in those cases it is usually better to let him make an offer. Invariably it is more than you feel comfortable asking for.

Yea, labor the real deal. 250.00 a cord the going price for the hickory apple your not going to find very offten and have never seen it for sale. The buckets will hold about 4 of my splits, but there 24 inchs long and pretty good size for my furnace.

Can you work out a deal where you split a third cord down real small, deliver it, and he fills the buckets? Would probably be more cost effective for both of you and that ammount of wood doesn't take up much space at his place. You could keep another third cord ready at your place at all times to meet his short notice. When it is gone you split another. Worst case scenario he doesn't buy it and you have some primo kindling. When he has a contest he fills a couple buckets from the stack and he's on his way.

lukem said:
Can you work out a deal where you split a third cord down real small, deliver it, and he fills the buckets? Would probably be more cost effective for both of you and that ammount of wood doesn't take up much space at his place. You could keep another third cord ready at your place at all times to meet his short notice. When it is gone you split another. Worst case scenario he doesn't buy it and you have some primo kindling. When he has a contest he fills a couple buckets from the stack and he's on his way.

Well I posted that pic on my fb looks like I better start splitting.......16 buckets ordered 8 bucks a bucket with bucket 5 without.....I will stop at 2 cords. ;-)

smokinjay said:
lukem said:

Well I posted that pic on my fb looks like I better start splitting.......16 buckets ordered 8 bucks a bucket with bucket 5 without.....I will stop at 2 cords. ;-)

$8.00 is a bargin.

woodsmaster said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:

$8.00 is a bargin.

Cool thats where I would like it to be. Not sure how many buckets in a cord but I would bet way north of 75. Thats 375.00 a cord. (without the buckets) I have 30 or better lying around.

Put an ad on the buckets Jay, He ain't the only one using that stuff. You may get famous too. LOL A C

amateur cutter said:
Put an ad on the buckets Jay, He ain't the only one using that stuff. You may get famous too. LOL A C

Only have a couple cords of it.....I been down the road he is on now. I remember asking anyone and everyone where I could find hickory, heck hes getting apple a bonus. I am still smokin once a month myself. ;-) Will run across more before that sissy charcoal guy runs me out though! :cheese:

C'mon up. I got an easy cord of hickory C/C/S I can send home with ya. Has he used cherry too or not? The apple is hard to come by around here.

trade for food then its easy. Or credit for take out.its your wood but his know how ..at cost for both of U.

amateur cutter said:
C'mon up. I got an easy cord of hickory C/C/S I can send home with ya. Has he used cherry too or not? The apple is hard to come by around here.

Wild cherry they will not use, but fuirt cherry tree they will.

jimosufan said:
trade for food then its easy. Or credit for take out.its your wood but his know how ..at cost for both of U.

Hes trying to keep it business like....... ;-) Wait til next order! lol

I also like to smoke with sugar maple. OK i need to get some smoking wood around I'm getting the itch. S.J. is the wood your selling dry or wet ? I've heard it should be dry then soak in water before using, but I don't Know
what difference it makes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.