old Heatilator Mark 123 - wood fireplace insert help!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coopcat

Sep 7, 2008
upstate NY
Hi everyone -- searched these forums and came up with a bit of information -- but not much about this prefab unit in the house a Heatilator Mark 123 -- thought I'd post to find out more.

I bought this house with an older Heatilator Mark 123 insert -- clearly there was no fireplace there before the prior owner installed this unit. Last winter, the "fireplace" certainly heated that room, but cold air was pouring in from below the "box". I'd like to upgrade to something that is designed to heat vs. look pretty.

The model # has darkened over time -- but the box is SMALL -- about 19-20" high, 22" at the back, and 30" at the front (it has side vents with pull down levers that don't seem to do anything, and included a beautiful mantle/tile surround)--- the local heath store only sells one possible model that could fit -- but it's going to be tight - a Jotul 350 (I believe).

Questions:

1. Does anyone know any other wood inserts that I could have the dealer special order that may fit such a smaller opening?

2. Could I remove the entire old system and build a masonry fireplace for an insert - or is there a better system if my measurements truly limit me?

3. The actual opening is about 19.75" high, but there is a "lip" at the front which is there to prevent fire/wood/debris from coming out the front - it seems to be just connected with a couple screws - could I remove that safely, to get the Jotul in there?

4. The Jotul is 22.5" wide, the space is 22" at the back, assuming the shop was installing this, it would not be "flush" with the back wall, about a 0.5" gap, to fit in there - is that acceptable?

Based on the basic measurements I took, the existing "vent" hole should line up with the Jotul.

Thanks in advance for any answers,

--Scott

#2, but instead of an insert, yank out the surround for the Heatilator and install a freestanding stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.