1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Old house thermal imaging

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Joful, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    I say go for it, I would never have the cajones to paint a house with these colors, i would just be thinking of Christmas as i was doing it, we bought it like this and absolutely love it! shed and detached garage match as well.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    Thanks, we were definitly looking for a house with some charachter (well I was) wife would have been happy with a cookie cutter...

Not much history though, house was built in the mid 80s, but the previous owner was pretty good about matching the colonial cape cod style. even the shed has a salt box shape to it and the detached garage looks like barn.

Sorry for thread hy-jacking
  3. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    No problem... throw up some thermal images, and it's not a hijack! ;lol

New wood storm windows arriving today for those four offending windows shown in the first group of thermal images. Went with mahogany frames and two solid glass panels glazed into each. If this goes well with the install of these four, we'll pulling all the old triple-track storms and ordering or building 26 more wood storms!
    ColdNH likes this.
  4. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    What are you doing for screens? I'm looking at replacing my old triple tracks starting this summer but so far had been primarily considering just a new set of aluminum storms (Larson Gold or Harvey Tru-Channel) due to cost and utility.
  5. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    I like the red too. There's a red antique cape just up the road from us, though, so I'm thinking maybe Marigold with a Barn Red door...gotta get some color!
  6. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    We put a set of flange-less triple tracks on our first house, a Victorian with single pane wavy glass windows, and they were frankly brilliant. Could not beat them for the utility, cost, and lack of impediment of the view both ways...
  7. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I'm actually buying separate traditional wood screens for the few windows where I actually want to switch to screens in summer. The company that made these does offer wood frames with aluminum-framed storms and screens that can be interchanged from the inside, which has a lower overall cost, if you actually want screens for all your windows. However, with a rabbet to hold the aluminum-framed screen or storm panel, rather than traditional glazing, I anticipate more maintenance issues with those. Moisture will tend to get trapped in that groove, causing paint failure, and eventually rot. They also have a system where you have completely separate upper and lower storms, so you can just change the lower for a screen, but then you have to look at a larger center bar.

http://www.adamsarch.com/storm-screen-window
  8. logger6644

logger6644 New Member

Loc:
    Upstate New York
    Great pictures, love the house. What kind of infrared camera is it, and where can I get one? Can you rent them?
  9. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    FLIR T250, $12,499. Someone said you can rent something similar at Home Depot. All info included in page 1 of this thread. Good luck!