1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Kirsten Hinks

Kirsten Hinks New Member

Hi there, I'm buying a house that's got an old Jotul woodburner in it. It looks just like an F3 but I had a look inside and it didn't seem to have a row of secondary burners and I'm guessing it's quite old. Does anyone know what stove this might be? If it's an older Jotul would it have a catalyst or would it not have anything?
    Thanks in advance

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Can't tell without a picture Kirsten. Inside and outside.

Welcome to the forum from the other side of the pond.
  3. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Jotul made an older pre-EPA stove called the "Series 3", which fits your description. They later added a catalytic option to that model, along with several other variants. A few photos would pin it down.

The old Jotul Series 8 catalytic is a serious heater. The Series 3 was much smaller, and would be more of an ambiance burner, for occasional weekend or evening fires.
  4. ChipTam

ChipTam Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SE Michigan and Trinity, Newfoundland
    Yes, a picture of your stove would help. Also, check out the site menu for Hearth.com. for drawings of older Jotul 3 models. You should be able to figure out which one you have based on those sketches. I have an older Jotul 3 which dates from around 1987 which works just fine. Good luck.
    ChipTam
  5. Kirsten Hinks

Kirsten Hinks New Member

Thanks guys! That helps to narrow it down a lot. I will try and get some pictures to compare.
    Kirsten