Old Leaf Vac for draft inducer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deerefanatic

Minister of Fire
Apr 6, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
Hi all, I was going through junk left by the previous owners of our place the other day and found an all-steel leaf vacuum that went to their ariens lawn tractor... I got looking at it and thought it'd be just the ticket as a draft inducer for my yet-to-be-constructed downdraft boiler.... I have attached some pictures to this message to show it....

What do yall think?

Attachments

• 041308_1933[00]_SMALL.jpg
    041308_1933[00]_SMALL.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 334
  • 041308_1933[01]_SMALL.jpg
    041308_1933[01]_SMALL.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 337
  • 041308_1933[02]_SMALL.jpg
    041308_1933[02]_SMALL.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 307
I have no idea but the other day they used a leaf blower to start up a jet car on Junkyard Wars. OK, so it's not relevant but I thought it was kind of a coincidence.

Well, it's pretty heavy steel, so I don't think it will rust too fast... As for the motor, it's belt drive so I can locate the motor (which I have laying around) away from the heat somewhat.

Think it's worth a try?

good idea..... Could probably do chain also, though not sure if chain will take the speed needed on one of these......

deerefanatic said:
Hi all, I was going through junk left by the previous owners of our place the other day and found an all-steel leaf vacuum that went to their ariens lawn tractor... I got looking at it and thought it'd be just the ticket as a draft inducer for my yet-to-be-constructed downdraft boiler.... I have attached some pictures to this message to show it....

What do yall think?

Just what size boiler are you constructing exactly? those things will move a TON of air and are designed to move it a very high velocity. You could probably drive something in the 4-5MMbtu range with that even if you geared it down.

Well, the firebox on this downdraft will be 5 long, 3.5 wide, and 4 tall (in feet) so it will be farely good sized..... I can gear it down till it won't move air at all if I need to! :)

Guess we'll see what happens..... In any case, I won't have problems getting air to my slabwood will I? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.