Old Lopi Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JudyGG

Jan 18, 2006
We have an old (probably 20 years) black Lopi wood burning insert that has two doors with glass panes. It has two small vents on the bottom, a slide vent across the top of the doors, and a top vent. This stove consistently pours smoke into the house, especially on windy days. Last year we put in a new liner which did not help. We replace the cord around the doors at least twice a year. It is a good stove, heats well and can hold a ton of wood. However, the smoke is a problem. Sometimes it can be seen leaking from the two bottom vents and other times it seems to leak from the glass panes in the doors. It also builds up a lot of creosote, more than I have seen anywhere else. Any thoughts?

Not sure how tall the chimney is. The liner is not insulated but does go up the entire chimney. Passageways are clear. It has always been a problem. Originally we did not have the metal liner and when we put it in we were told it would fix the problem. It hasn't. The stove seems to build up creosote only towards the front of the box. Thanks, Judy

Judy I admit of not being familliar with every brand and model stove. But I think 20 plus year stove just might have
a lot of air leaks. If cast iron many seams are glued together with refactory cement . With heat and aging process
these seams will need to re done. This entails total dissesembly then re essembly. applying new refractory cement to
all the seams. The front door glass leaking is probably a gasket issue. Again compressed and aged over time. Some
glass configurations consist of two panes with gasket material in the middle. Gasketing the door may not address the
window area. If your stove is leaking that much that means air is escaping and not channeled into your flue. I will
create the cresote situation you described. If not into rebuilding it then consider after 20 years it has served its purpose

The other factors others mentioned is your chimney situation. If you live in a ranch and do not have enough verticle
distance no stove will draft correctly. 20 years old when was the last time the stove was totally cleaned? I mean soot ash
could have accumulated in a cavity and is blocking your draft, damper area, or inlet air passages. Anyone of these would
weaken the draft

What temp are you burning the stove? Describe your light up procedure and burning habits. Probably have it checked out by a sweep. Does it smoke all the time or is it weather dependant?

Most of the questions asked by other Forum members are good to consider. I'd also look at these questions.

How long have you ownered the insert? Did it always smoke, or did it just recently start to have the smoke problem.

Did you do any remodeling within the house recently, add a bathroom, put in new windows, or reinsulate doors and windows. All these can change the negitive pressure within a home. It maybe a problem of insufficent air transfer within the home that is causing the downdraft (smoke) problem in your chimney.

Just a few more things to look at.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.