Q&A Old Mill Coal Stove and Chimney relining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have coal stove that was installed approx. 10 years ago. Currently there is no liner in the chimney. The present liner is a 13 " square terra cotta. The stove is an "Old Mill" with a 8" opening. Is a smaller liner necessary? If it is- would the best choice be stainless steel or is there a better solution. I have been told that the coal ash will damage the liner within a few years. As you know the stainless steel liner is not cheap- so I would like to know that I am making the right decision

Answer:

It should definitely be lined for best performance with coal. The Old Mill was not the greatest coal stove- but it should work well with proper draft- coal and operation. Stainless will last quite awhile with coal as long as some precautions are taken. First- I'm assuming that you are using Anthracite (hard) Coal- which is low sulfur. Make certain you clean it at the end of each year- and if possible- brush some baking soda down the chimney after you have cleaned it to neutralize the acids. An 8" liner would match the size of the stove- and according to most codes- the chimney should not be downsized from the opening size. That said- coal usually works better with a smaller flue size- so a 6" liner may warm up faster. The only reason for the 8" flue on that stove is probably the large door opening- and the fact that they had a screen "open door" option for use with a wood fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.