Old Mill or boiler hook ups

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebighouse

Jan 3, 2015
Bucks county PA
Hey all! New here !

I'm trying to decide on a stove. It's an old mill stove , that supposedly is BTU rated for 150,000 to 200,000 BTU- House at 10 to 12 hour run time and will heat a 3000 square-foot house.

This all sounds wonderful if it actually does what the seller is claiming. I would be using the stove as an insert in my masonry fireplace. The opening is 36 x 31 high. The fireplace is in my living room on the main floor. My home has a loop layout with the steps in the center of the house going to the second floor. There are three bedrooms on the 2 Nd floor floor and then an attic on 3rd floor . My whole house is set up with an old heavy radiator system- other than the attic. We refinish that after purchasing and installed electric baseboard heat.
The seller claims if I leave my bedroom doors open and fans on reverse the whole house will heat nicely with this one stove. My house is almost 3000 sq feet -excluding the 350 ft.² in the attic .

I am relatively new to the wood-burning stove world. I have always used a fireplace my entire life. Although about three years ago we were looking into wood-burning stove with a boiler hook ups that really tickled us, although we did not have the 2500 + bucks to shell out and once again we are in the same predicament.

Does anyone know about the stove? And is $900 a fair deal? I can't seem to find any comparable ones online. I was looking into boiler hook ups online as well and wondering if that is something I could hook onto this stove? Or if someone has a recommendation on a woodstove boiler hook up… that is my ultimate plan as my house is old , but solid ! and of course the windows are absolutely horrible! So firing up the oil heat is not really an option because it's just money out the window. Will use it if we need it on low - otherwise we burn wood in the fireplace and
Two years ago we build a rocket mass heater in the basement which actually has served us very well although does not warm up the house to feel toasty-- it merely removes the chill. We toyed with the idea of linking that into our loop although it seems kind of tricky and since it doesn't have a 12 hour burntime like a stove we thought that would be the smarter hook up anyway

Personally I wouldn't put $900 into any old stove unless I was into collecting classics in excellent condition. The typical market price for this kind of stove is anywhere from free to about $400 depending on it's condition and design. For $900 I would be looking at a new freestanding stove in the fireplace. The englander 30NC sells new for that price. Here is some more info on the old mill stove.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/old-mill-stoves/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/old-mill-stove-install-or-forget.105182/

Your best investment long term is getting the house tightened up. If the windows leak, reseal them and put up storms, even if they are homemade fames covered with plastic.

Personally I wouldn't put $900 into any old stove unless I was into collecting classics in excellent condition. The typical market price for this kind of stove is anywhere from free to about $400 depending on it's condition and design. For $900 I would be looking at a new freestanding stove in the fireplace. The englander 30NC sells new for that price. Here is some more info on the old mill stove.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/old-mill-stoves/
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/old-mill-stove-install-or-forget.105182/

Your best investment long term is getting the house tightened up. If the windows leak, reseal them and put up storms, even if they are homemade fames covered with plastic.

Thanks for your reply ! We have sealed some of thee windows but I will surely get on that and your other suggestions .
Does that price change if the stove is completly resptored ? Or is that still too much ? The guy just had some much passion and excitment for it and I think he kinda hazed me with it ....

There isn't a whole lot to restore other than cosmetics in a stove like this. It's usually a nice paint job for the most part.

Post a picture of the fireplace and let's at least explore some alternatives before you decide.

There isn't a whole lot to restore other than cosmetics in a stove like this. It's usually a nice paint job for the most part.

Post a picture of the fireplace and let's at least explore some alternatives before you decide.

Hey there, I couldn't seem to upload the photos on the two methods offered so I'm actually putting a link to the Oldmill stove that is for sale. When you have a second take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks so much!

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/hsh/4831647077.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job, but seriously overpriced IMO. It's a big old box and looks like it will need 8" piping. I'm sure it will heat fine while eating a lot of wood.

Reactions: Thebighouse
I caught that and corrected the orig link. We cross posted after our corrections.

Status
Not open for further replies.