Old P61A, New install, First fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DAKSY

Full Time RVer
Staff member
Dec 2, 2008
Wherever we're parked
As a result of a kitchen remodeling, the boiler got moved to the P61A location & the P61 got moved to a diagonally opposite corner in the basement. New 12" hearth riser built. Walls dura-rocked in preparation for new tile or stone or a combination of both. Outside air not gonna get hooked up til I figure out where I want to punch a hole thru to the outside. Got a "slip" section in the vent that'll give me about 2" of adjustment to accommodate the new finish material. Unit serviced & painted. First bag is in. Fire is burning. Ready for "The Hawk!"

New Loc.jpg 15 First Fire.jpg

As a result of a kitchen remodeling, the boiler got moved to the P61A location & the P61 got moved to a diagonally opposite corner in the basement. New 12" hearth riser built. Walls dura-rocked in preparation for new tile or stone or a combination of both. Outside air not gonna get hooked up til I figure out where I want to punch a hole thru to the outside. Got a "slip" section in the vent that'll give me about 2" of adjustment to accommodate the new finish material. Unit serviced & painted. First bag is in. Fire is burning. Ready for "The Hawk!"

View attachment 166519 View attachment 166520
Very nice Daksy. Looks Super!
Did you build the raise Hearth? I have to do one just like it. 12" high wow, very nice!
Anymore pics of the Hearth building? Looks great!

Looks like its going to be a nice layout, but why so high of a raised hearth? Stepping up, pouring pellets in with a tight area around your feet, with a warm/hot stove, might be kind of a pain?

It's 12" high , actually 11.5, the height of a 2 x 12 with 1/2 plywood & 1/2" durarock on top.
I started with a 44" square layout, & lopped a corner at 22" & cut the outer ends at 22.5 degrees.
Measured & cut the lop section with 22.5 degree ends.
I ran a 2 x 12 41" across the entire inner width. I cross-braced with 4 2 x 6s.
Cut the ply to 44" square & laid it on top of the box before marking for the lop cut.
Added the durarock, cutting one length to 44 (x36) & marking the underside similar to the ply.
Cut an 8 x 44 strip from another piece of durarock & marked that the same way.
I shot the framing with my Paslode nailer & screwed the durarock with 1.5" coarse thread
square drive concrete backer board screws.

The 12" height gives a "nicer" flame presentation & makes servicing the unit easier than it was on the floor. I can climb up or I can pour the pellets in from the floor.

Last edited:
That will be super looking when you get the tile/rock. I've got my P61a up on cement blocks since I didn't know if the basement got wet or not when it was installed. I think you were smart raising the stove as I think it would be a bigger PITA to service mine without it being raise by the 6". Hey, and fire presentation is important too :)

That will be super looking when you get the tile/rock. I've got my P61a up on cement blocks since I didn't know if the basement got wet or not when it was installed. I think you were smart raising the stove as I think it would be a bigger PITA to service mine without it being raise by the 6". Hey, and fire presentation is important too :)
Ya and I'm 6'2" tall, presently with a bum knee, I wouldn't have to bend down so far to check on the baked potatos !! LOL
Surgery thurs, Pre op today actually.

Reactions: bogieb
Ya and I'm 6'2" tall, presently with a bum knee, I wouldn't have to bend down so far to check on the baked potatos !! LOL
Surgery thurs, Pre op today actually.

Good luck with the surgery. So far the knees are the only things that still work pain-free (knock on wood)...

Good luck with the surgery. So far the knees are the only things that still work pain-free (knock on wood)...
This knee has been scoped before, one of the early scope jobs actually, there was a little piece of cartilage left behind, well guess what is acting up ? So they will get it now. The doc says it will be about a 30 minute surgery. 2 hours at the hospital. thanks for the thought !

Good luck with the surgery. Sounds like it should be "simple" - hope there are no surprises and you heal up quickly!

Good luck with the surgery. Sounds like it should be "simple" - hope there are no surprises and you heal up quickly!
Thank's , keep the potatoes hot !!

Reactions: bogieb
Status
Not open for further replies.