Old pre EPA chainsaws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That first cut was red oak lol [emoji12][emoji106]

You got me there your right I just saw the other logs first and was thinking it was soft..... ya that saw does pretty good no doubt it will cut with a modern saw.

And it's old ! Did you say 1971 ? That's getting up there in age. Obviously those saws were well built. My stihl 031 is I think a 1976 something like that it's dead on reliable. Slow and steady. It never bogs down but the rpm and chain speed are so slow it cuts slower than what I'm used too.

I have never researched the age of mine. I was told they came out in 1982 and for the first two years they had metal badges on the side cover. These first 2 years were built on a lighter chassis than the later version which was shared with the 660. I haven't been around a 660 recently to compare the weight so just going by what others have said.

I'm not completely sure on the age. I know my dad bought his in 1985 and I always went with him to the dealer ( they sold motorcycles too so I would go to look at the dirt bikes ) anyways I remember the dealer talking about how the saw just came out.

So I just assumed it was 85. Could have heard wrong it was so many years ago. For sure it's in the early 80s though.

I'm the opposite. I haven't been around an 064 in probably 20 years. I do however run a 660 from time to time. And it's heavy. I'm a big guy I can handle it but when I put it down and grab my 70cc I immediately feel the difference.

The 064 I think is lighter than a 660. That's what I think makes that saw desirable it produces power close to or same as a 660 but the weight is in line with a 70cc. I read that somewhere not from experience just something I remember reading.

064 is desirable but around here you never see any for sale. They are older saws and either people locally in my area don't sell them or they are all beat to crap. Not sure I just never see them.

It depends what you're cutting, too. RPM's are only a bottleneck in small wood that doesn't tax the saw at all. When the wood gets big enough that the saw has to actually work for a living, it's all about horsepower.

Status
Not open for further replies.