Old Prefab Fireplace (70's) with new Wood Burning Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

operative

Oct 3, 2010
northern va
Ok, so I've read plenty about how I need to:

1) Buy an insert that is rated for use in a pre-fab fireplace

2) Line the entire chimney length from the insert to the chimney exit with an approved chimney liner

But, my question is, since I don't know the manufacturer or model # of the fireplace, I can't tell whether it's UL rated or not. Is it still up to code if you use an insert that is rated for a pre-fab fireplace using an appropriate liner? Or do I actually have to have the pre-fab ripped out and replaced with a new pre-fab fireplace and chimney that is up to spec?

(PS: there is a small tag with two serial numbers up near the damper, but there is no other distinguishing model/manufacturer info)

It's tough to ID some of the older ZC units. They used to have the pertinent
info on stickers that would either melt, burn or peel off.
The newer units generally have stamped metal plates that are riveted on.
If you can't find the info, there's probably no way to verify what you have in there,
unless you can locate the original owner or the actual builder.
In the 70's the building codes were different than they are now, so even if your
insert is installed to code AT THAT TIME, there's no way to confirm if what you have
is SAFE or meets TODAY'S code.
IMHO, I'd say to tear it out & either put in an EPA rated fireplace, or forgo the
fireplace look & install a free standing, wood burning stove.
There is ABSOLUTELY no way I'd put in a ZC box that's NOT EPA rated,
but then again, I'm in upstate NY - not Va...

operative said:
Or do I actually have to have the pre-fab ripped out and replaced with a new pre-fab fireplace and chimney that is up to spec?

This is a case where two wrongs don't make a right.

Don't install a different pre-fab fireplace just so you can install an insert. If the old fireplace needs to come out then install a freestanding stove if you are really want to heat with wood. If you have to have the fireplace look, then install an EPA rated fireplace.

Either will probably need a new chimney system, again depending on what is already installed. The chimney system may have some clues on it, as some of those stickers may still be on them that will indicate who made it, as the chimney should not have gotten hot enough to melt them off. At least mine haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.