old pyro newbie hampton insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peter325

Jan 4, 2008
NE
Hi,
last year on the coldest days of the year we could only get our then rented apartment to a chilly 61 degrees. SInce then we have purchased the circa 1902 house, opened the fireplace, installed a Hampton I1300 insert and a despite the almost single digit temp. outside, we rose our living area to a balmy 73 last night which was nice. This is only my 3rd month using the unit overall i am quite happy although i have some newbie concerns......

Let me mention that i am burning barn dry hardwood 2x4's if i load 4 pieces air stacked it is a very fast hot hot serious burn. The unit was "professionally" installed with full length 26' smooth SS liner (no insulation) 12"ceramic blanket around base of SS liner and yellow FG (no paper) stuffed into the throat of the original damper opening. They also had to use a SS offset box. and fit all into a mason FP with external south facing chimney w/ clay liner on Long Island NY

Is it safe to have the flames flow like a raging river up and out the throat of the hearth area maybe reaching the offset box exit ? (splashing flames off the ceramic window on there way)

Also the other morning restarting the fire as i would normally do from few coals and bellows i ran into a problem. A strong gusty south wind (strange in winter months) hampered the normal draft, the spilts of hardwood caught with flame for 2 minute but were extinguished from a downdraft, the hearth quickly filled with thick smoke ..... and i received a quick lesson on the innards of the Hampton. The choke on the unit does not close completely, this was evident by the amount of smoke exiting the unit from the right side of fan area....also i noticed leakes aound the ceramic viewing window. Needless say, after about 3-5 minutes of watching in amazment the smoke exiting the unit into my living room i started listening for a lull in the southerly gusts and opened the door slightly, seeing red coals was nice to see ... for the dry hardwood was still in action, after a few controlled breaths i cleared the chamber and brought back to flame nursed with small splits and after 20 minutes into strong fire.

Is it normal that inserts cannot completely close there air intake ??

I doubt that this can happen with a hot oven and established updraft,
my concern is can same event occur at night after we are asleep with smoke or carbon monoxide.???

Thanks in advance
Regards
Peter

you shouldnt be able to close a stove down 100 percent other wise you wont be able to burn it . On low they have a small air opening to sustain a longer slower burn..hope this helps

can i assume you have a CO detector and fire alarm real close ?????
i have a fire alarm on either side of the room and above that stove, and CO detector in the room is a must (and law i think)
you have a cap on the flue also?
probably just a wind that hit you at the right/wrong time

Yes have CO detector in the same room........
smoke in next room.
Thanks for info on the air control this makes sense
except when the smoke is going in the opposite direction.

What about the intensity of the fire....is this a concern ?
THanks
Again

if you mean hotter fire stronger draft, hells yea.
wind is no match for the cannon of heat blasting up your stack from an established fire.

The advice given is correct. You can not completely shut down a modern EPA stove. I am wondering about the wind blowing out the fire. Is this a common occurrence? Can you describe the flue assembly on the stove? How tall, do you know if there is a liner in the chimney?

It would be good if you could get some regular, seasoned firewood to mix with the 2 x 4s. Hampton does warn about using mill ends due to the risk of overfiring the stove. The same can happen using just construction lumber.

Yes have a 26 foot uninsulated liner w/ offset box. The top of the chiminey is square to the south side of the roof. If you can imagine a solar collector and a parabolic mirror, the mirror would be my 40 x 25 roof and the cap of the chimney would be the collector. I belieive the south wind ( was 30mph sustained 40 gusts) created an area of high pressure over complete roof area and down the chimney. Thanks for info about mill ends !! and lumber i didn't know this ....but expected as much.
Regards
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.