Old regular buck 27000 install issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissai

May 19, 2010
Missouri
Hello,
I recently purchased an older insert to place in my large masonary chimney. The insert appears to be in very good condition for its age. The home was build in 1991 and the chimney is some 40" tall with a clay liner. I have read about the dangers of these type of "slammer" units and have determined that I need to install a ss full liner. The issue I have is that I have limited clearance between the lintel and the top of the stove. I cannot seem to get my hand in far enough to connect a typical stack to the top of the insert. I would like some of your opinions on fabricating a plate with a 8" round opening so that I may connect the unit directly to the liner. I am wondering if anyone believes there would be an issue with the draft of the stove due to a decrease in exhaust diameter created by this type of fabrication. I understand most of you believe a newer epa stove would be a better choice but I did not have that option financially. I also really like to appearance of this older stove.
Thanks in advance for any opinions.

I understand about the finance part but, you's have to spend some money on an 8" liner. Now if you want to replace your stove within a few years 1-2, the new stove will need a 6" liner and you'll have to buy another one. How much was the Buck? Englander sells fantastic stoves at very affordable prices. Remove the shiny stuff from an Englander and she looks more rugged.

Just something to think about, I too have a very tight budget and completely understand your situation. I've gone through 3 stoves till I finally got what I wanted and needed with lots of help from Hearth.com.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.