Old roof tear off - rain - wet insulation :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifthopper

Apr 12, 2007
www.drifthoppers.net
Putting a new roof put on the house, (along with a new chimney) , we were in the process of tearing the old roof off and the rain came.
We got the tarps down, but the water still got under, probably where we had one over the other..??? :(
The house is a colonial, (bedrooms and bath upstairs, and I have some minor leaks showing in the one bedroom and bath, ) and I’m concerned about the insulation in the attic above the bedroom.
It’s the pink fiberglass insulation, would the water had damaged this???
Two spots showing on the ceiling are about the size of a softball, one maybe about the size of a plate, maybe alittle smaller.
Do we have to go as far as to replace this insulation??
Any thoughts are appreciated!!

I doubt one rain and from the size of the spots you describe is going to hurt the insulation at all. Next time when you run the tarps, make sure you overlap them so they are not bucking water. Meaning the top tarp edge should always overlap over the lower tarp flap. It doesn't hurt to use 1"x3" wood lath sparingly nailed over/through the tarp vertically along the perimeter(except at the eave/gutter edge and a few in the center of the tarp. That will keep it from blowing up or off, and I have never had a problem with leaks that way.

Thanks guys…after reading that ,I feel a bit more comfortable…I’ll have to re-paint the ceiling but at least I don’t have to get up there and remove the old insulation and lay down new stuff.
Ya…the tarps had to go down fast,,,it went from total clouds to rain in about 20 – 30 minutes…we were cutting in a section of plywood. The previous owners had the kitchen extended and where that met the existing plywood / roof, they scabbed in a plywood piece about 4” wide x 8’ ,,so we were re-working that as the clouds approached.
Lot o’ work…..more then I had in mind…..

(yes,,good vents,,,soffets and at the peak. )

Drifthopper said:
Thanks guys…after reading that ,I feel a bit more comfortable…I’ll have to re-paint the ceiling but at least I don’t have to get up there and remove the old insulation and lay down new stuff.
Ya…the tarps had to go down fast,,,it went from total clouds to rain in about 20 – 30 minutes…we were cutting in a section of plywood. The previous owners had the kitchen extended and where that met the existing plywood / roof, they scabbed in a plywood piece about 4” wide x 8’ ,,so we were re-working that as the clouds approached.
Lot o’ work…..more then I had in mind…..

(yes,,good vents,,,soffets and at the peak. )

Sheet, if you only need to repaint the sheetrock and not replace it, your golden. The insulation is long dry already then.

Not too bad, sounds like you did ok by putting on the tarps. Imagine if you didn't. I would just call it another "chit happens" and call it a day. Paints cheap. I was putting on a roof for my goofy brother in law last yr and it started to sprinkle as we were just a few courses from the top. He yelled out the window in a panic," you guys can't put my shingles on in the rain they are getting all wet". I replied "DUUUHHHH!!! you *(&^%$# idiot." What the hell is the world coming to when a brilliant man comes unglued like that???
(Note: I guess I am a brilliant man after all). Phew.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.