Old School Metal Chimneys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
This is how we used to do it back in the '70s, which is probably when these single-wall steel "chimneys" date from.

Both installations are businesses, and both are connected to working woodstoves. Both are clearly visible from the state highway, usually emitting thin streams of blue smoke.

Codes? We don't need no stinkin' codes in upstate NY!

Attachments

• badchimney2.jpg
    badchimney2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 371
  • badchimney1.jpg
    badchimney1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 341
The best place to view the one on the right is from Frankie's . . . with your fist wrapped around a glass of Wild Turkey 101!!

As many times as I have driven by the first place, I have never been inside :bug: Now, what would be REALLY cool . . . what if they ran the pipe up the fusalage and had the smoke come out the tail??? :lol:

I've never been in the Wigwam, either & no plans to stop in.

Just south of there, right after you climb the hill after crossing the Forestport bridge, there's a place on the right using an old piece of steel culvert for a chimney.

The chimney I use for my tarm in the detached garage is schedual 80 8 inch steel pipe. There were some pieces of it laying around somewhere so I scoffed it up. I built a heat exchanger around it for hot air. On real cold nites I run a little fan that blows into the heat exchanger and puts out nice warm air and I run the pipe right down to the air inlet on the boiler to preheat the ice cold intake air. I also have a wood drier that I use it for. The hot air tube goes into the bottom of a large garbage can full of green wood. It dries it out in no time at all. I know its not good to run a cool chimney but a chimney fire is not big concern to me with that heavy wall pipe. It doesn't seem to effect the draft at all. No doubt it uses some electricity but I like the idea of extracting as much of the heat going up the stack that I can. I have a few other Ideas for drying wood. I may post in the future.
MIke

Status
Not open for further replies.