Old school see-saw saddle casting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
When I was a kid, good heavy duty see-saws were made from a 2x10 floor joist, some plumbing flanges and fittings for tee handles, and a purchased saddle casting that rode the cross pipe, with three positions to adjust for rider weight diff.

Wanted to build a see-saw for my sons b-day (Friday), but can't find that saddle casting anywhere! All I see is $1000+ contraptions, that aren't anywhere as good as the old thing. Ideas? Was thinking this project should cost $100, not $1000!

We just had the plank. If you're looking to make it special, how about the metal tractor seats? If you have a Scorpio and some elm you can make your own seat.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Nah... hard plank is fine. Didn't permanently damage me, anyway.

When I say "saddle", I'm talking about the metal casting that rides the cross-pipe. Not what you sit on.

I'm beginning to think I'll have to make this out of wood (hole saw style), but worried about the friction of that on the pipe, working against small legs.

I see auto correct struck. I was intending to say scorp above.

What about covering the pipe with more 2x that will keep little legs and fingers away. Further nesting the pivot inside another pipe/sleeve filled with grease might also help.

As I think more about it, lengthening the verticals would keep everything aligned and covered. Doubling the vertical on the outside with an undrilled 2x will keep all fingers away.

Status
Not open for further replies.