Old Stove - Chinook Apollo - Mod or Retire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkoplo

Dec 14, 2015
Flagstaff, AZ
I just purchased a home that included a wood stove. After digging through a box of old manuals from the previous owner and poking around online, I've determined it's a Chinook Apollo - which seems to be a pretty rare beast.

Essentially it's a pre-EPA (80s) wood stove that's a little funky. Pretty much the only references I can find to it online are the patents that were filed: http://www.google.com/patents/US4182305

It's an interesting stove. Essentially it's a sheet metal octagon that's supposed to draw input air through a hole in the floor instead of from the room. It has a two layer shell and a blower that pushes air from the room between the two layers.

That being said, it doesn't look like there's any hole in the floor through to my crawlspace and basically no attempt was made to design this thing airtight - there's big obvious gaps around the doors and even hinges that let air in from the room.

It does have a lot of charm, and it is already in my living room. I'm an engineer, so there's a big part of me that wants to seal it up and build some air injection or a catalyst into it. There's tons of space to work with.

What do people think? Is it a fool's errand to make this thing workable? Should I just find something to replace it with?

Welcome. It looks like a freestanding fireplace with a convective jacket. Is that a fair assessment? From the picture it appears to be unbaffled and no secondary combustion. Adding these feature and firebrick or vermiculite side panels should help but they bring up other questions like airwash for the glass and is the glass tempered or ceramic?

Yeah, that's a pretty accurate assessment. Definitely unbaffled with no secondary combustion.

However, the way the air flows, it comes in through the pedestal then out holes at the base of the windows - sort of like an airwash.

I see. It looks like sealing up those hinges would take a door redesign and welding. Quite frankly if the goal is clean efficient heat with a nice fireview that can be done for under $1000 and the results will be more predictable. Otherwise I think I'd just enjoy the nice unique fireplace as is.

I see. It looks like sealing up those hinges would take a door redesign and welding. Quite frankly if the goal is clean efficient heat with a nice fireview that can be done for under $1000 and the results will be more predictable. Otherwise I think I'd just enjoy the nice unique fireplace as is.

Yeah, redesigning the doors would be required - I guess that definitely takes it into project territory... Worth doing more for the experience than the cost.

It was my understanding that a decent new stove would be closer to $2000? Can you point me in the direction (or another thread) of something in $1000 range that would be worth having?

There are dozens of threads on good, ~$1000, 3 cu ft stoves in the main forum. Look at Englander 30NC, Drolet Legend, Drolet HT2000 and the new Englander model 50-SHSSW02 on sale now at Lowes under the Summer's Heat brand (same as Englander).
http://www.lowes.com/pd_669024-76845-50-SHSSW02_0__?productId=999918850

Note that you'll need to rethink the chimney if you want to replace the fireplace. Most likely the fireplace chimney is not rated high temp for wood stove use and it's probably too large.

Status
Not open for further replies.