old stove restoration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tarbaby

Jan 20, 2009
mid-atlantic region
i have an vintage glenwood utility no. 318 gas/wood stove from the late 1920's. i am looking for information and a few parts, including a rectangluar wood grate which would measure about 6 x 14, and the gas control knobs. i don't plan to use gas, but they would make it look nicer. i got the stove with a coal grate, which is two rotating shafts, but i think there is another grate specifically for wood. i don't know how the wood grate would fit. there doesn't appear to be any special supports for the grate, other than the sides of the lower firebox, just underneath where the coal shafts are, which slope inward and down, narrowing the opening slightly and solid enough to support a cast iron grate.

tarbaby said:
i have an vintage glenwood utility no. 318 gas/wood stove from the late 1920's. i am looking for information and a few parts, including a rectangluar wood grate which would measure about 6 x 14, and the gas control knobs. i don't plan to use gas, but they would make it look nicer. i got the stove with a coal grate, which is two rotating shafts, but i think there is another grate specifically for wood. i don't know how the wood grate would fit. there doesn't appear to be any special supports for the grate, other than the sides of the lower firebox, just underneath where the coal shafts are, which slope inward and down, narrowing the opening slightly and solid enough to support a cast iron grate.

You might want to check with these folks . . . this shop is one town over from me. According to their website they sell antique Glenwood stoves and may in fact have the parts you need.

http://bryantstove.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.