Old stove with new paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Picked up some Krylon Stove and BBQ paint at Walmart for about $5.00 a can.. Painted all but the back (can't see the back anyways).. Didn't take too long and the results were good.. Only thing left to do is polish the cast iron cooktop.. Any ideas for preventing rust on polished cast iron that can handle intense heat?

Attachments

• 2010 10 10 001 (Small).jpg
    2010 10 10 001 (Small).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 320
The stove looks brand new. Great job.

Not sure what you can use on the cast iron top. I know with cast iron skillets you can take a paper towel with cooking oil and wipe it down. This may help, but it wouldn't take long to burn off and make your house smell all greasy.

basswidow said:
The stove looks brand new. Great job.

Not sure what you can use on the cast iron top. I know with cast iron skillets you can take a paper towel with cooking oil and wipe it down. This may help, but it wouldn't take long to burn off and make your house smell all greasy.

Thanx it's amazing what $5.00 worth of spray paint can do! I did polish/clean the cooktop with scotchbrite and rubbed a light coat of PB Blaster afterwards.. It has a high flash point so I will see how it goes.. I finally managed to get my chimney cast iron piece off the stove today too! This will make it much easier to remove the stove pipe.. PB Blaster got it so it could be removed, one side was removed using a rt. angle phillips screwdriver and the other side was stubborn so I tried long nose vicegrips and managed to get enough bite to get it out.. Yay I have been trying for a few years to get these bolts out! I will not use flat head phillps screws this time but instead I will use allen cap bolts with washers and never-seize on the threads so this will not happen again :) PB Blaster is one of the best "liquid wrench" products I've seen so far...

Ray

Stove looks awesome, very nice job. Cant answer your question, sry, but nice looking stove.

shawneyboy said:
Stove looks awesome, very nice job. Cant answer your question, sry, but nice looking stove.

Thanx Shawn it's an oldie for sure...

Ray

I agree Ray, that is a nice looking stove. You did a good job on it too.

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree Ray, that is a nice looking stove. You did a good job on it too.

Thanx Dennis!

~*~vvv~*~ said:
stove polish? not paint

Yes paint not polish.. This stove originally was painted so polish isn't the way to go..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.