Old Tarm 501 Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Cat

Dec 15, 2013
Fombell Pa
I Have Tarm 501 Oil/Wood Boiler. It works great on oil but when i burn wood the creosote forms really fast. I,m not real sure how to adjust the secondary air inlets. The one on the side is open about a quarter of the way and so is the one on the loading door. The boiler is in pretty good shape and i want to keep using it but the buildup is starting to concern me. I have no bends in the pipe going to the stack and the chimney is clear. There's got to be something I'm missing.

Thanks,
Kevin

I don't know the model numbers all that well, so I don't know what you hav since google won't well me when I ask it Tarm 501, but the Tarms of the era of my avatar (skinned before I caught them at it) are creosote factories - uninsulated steel firebox, wall at 200F (or less) directly exposed to unburned gasses, lots of condensation, etc.

I have a project in mind for a little one with the skin still on it, basically consisting of insulating the firebox and making it more like a gasifier, where things get burnt before they meet the heat exchanger. We'll see.

I don't know the model numbers all that well, so I don't know what you hav since google won't well me when I ask it Tarm 501, but the Tarms of the era of my avatar (skinned before I caught them at it) are creosote factories - uninsulated steel firebox, wall at 200F (or less) directly exposed to unburned gasses, lots of condensation, etc.

I have a project in mind for a little one with the skin still on it, basically consisting of insulating the firebox and making it more like a gasifier, where things get burnt before they meet the heat exchanger. We'll see.

Thanks for the reply, that sounds like exactly what I have. It's around 18 to 20 years old. I guess it's time to start the search for a good replacement. I'd like to stick with oil and gasification set up.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.