old Tarm fix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

Hearth Supporter
Mar 10, 2008
Western NY
I recently acquired a 1978 Tarm OT-50 that has some leak issues. There is considerable rust and corrosion at both the 1 1/4 inlet and outlet where the flange is welded to the steel of the water jacket (the guy I got it from, a contributor to this forum, was absolutely clear that there may be a problem). When I sealed up the the water jacket and put 20 lbs of air to it there was leakage in the weld area that was so corroded. It looks to me like a fairly simple welding job to fix it but I am asking for input from you guys.

If you are going to weld on the boiler ( because of the rust ) you should grind out the weld where the leak is. Clean, sand blast the spot to weld. I would weld this back with a stick welder and use 6011 rod. ( 5/32 or 1/8" ) Because of the amount of rust a wire feed welder would be hard to do.
Pressure test with 25 psi and check with soap and water.
Marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.