Old Tarm OT35

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ric5141

Feb 4, 2010
Western, MA
Question on Old Tarm system

I have found a used Tarm OT 35 for a decent price. I currently have an oil fired hot water system and have been using a HI1200 fireplace insert that is just finishing its second season. The insert has cut down on the oil usage but I still use oil for HW and primary heat. I am thinking of picking this Tarm unit up and working with it to heat the house. My goal is to reduce oil usage to a minimal amount. I know this is a 30 year old unit but appears to be in great shape. If I had the money I would prefer an OWB because of the new units efficiency and the ability to use more of the "junk" wood.

Now I am debating would this be worth picking up and using? I can imagine that the oil burner side is less efficient then the one I currently have (early 90's HB Smith). I guess I am just trying to figure out if this would be worth the effort to do.

I'm very happy with my "old" OT-35. Certainly isn't as efficient as a gasser, but, much lower up front cost. If you do purchase it I would recommend replacing the tankless coil gasket, as well as the 3 flange gaskets for all of which seem prone to leakage once they dry out.

Overall a good "workhorse" boiler. Of course once the boiler reserve fund is built up I hope to buy a new gassifier Tarm.

Keep us posted on the progress, and pictures are always enjoyed. Good luck if you do make the purchase, anything that minimizes oil use is a plus for me.

1200 Sq foot ranch, with the boiler in the basement and keeping the basement heated to 55-60 degrees F. so that's an additional 1200 sq feet. We typically heat the living area to 70-72 degrees F. when we are home.

Typically burn 3 1/2 to 4 cords a year, but if I hit 4 cords it's probably because some of the wood is softwood and/or poor quality. I would expect if I used all "good" hardwood we would be around 3 cords.

I switch over to the oil side only when away for an extended period, such as a weeklong midwinter vacation. This year we used less than 1/4 tank of oil and at about 3 cords right now with still a short time left in the heating season. Looking at the thermometer it's 74 degrees F. right now as I'm typing.

Happy burning!

Status
Not open for further replies.